Thursday, May 24, 2012

Throwbacks & the Review Pile ~ 5/24/12

Out with the old, in with the new?  Not anymore!

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


We hope to be able to bring attention to some older titles (released 5 or more years ago) that may not be at the top of the current bestseller list, but still deserve a spot in your To-Be-Read pile.

A Bride Most Begrudging

"A Bride Most Begrudging"
Author:  Deeanne Gist
Publication Date: 2005
  
When Lady Constance Morrow finds herself kidnapped and bound for the American colonies, she's sure she'll find a reasonable man who'll believe her story and send her back to England. Instead, she's "bought" by farmer Drew O'Connor. How long will it take before this marriage of convenience becomes very inconvenient for both of them? — Drew O'Connor isn't stirred by news of a ship full of brides. Still broken-hearted from the loss of his beloved, he only wants a maid to tend his house and care for his young sister.

What he ends up with is a wife, a feisty redhead who claims she is Lady Constance Morrow, daughter of an Earl, brought to America against her will. And she wants to go straight back to England as soon as she possibly can. She hasn't the foggiest notion how to cook, she dares to argue with her poor husband, and spends more time working on mathematical equations than housework. What kind of a wife is that? Drew's Christian forbearance is in for some testing.
Headstrong and intelligent, deeply moral but incredibly enticing, Constance turns what was supposed to be a marriage of convenience into something most inconvenient, indeed.
This was the very first book that I read by Deeanne Gist.  In fact, I'm pretty certain it was the first book she wrote.  It was EXCELLENT!  So excellent, that I've read every book she's written since.  This is definitely worth adding to your TBR.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




From the Review Pile is hosted by Stepping Out of the Page every Thursday.
The aim is to showcase books that you've received but haven't yet got around to reading.

Graceling (Seven Kingdoms, Bk 1)

"Graceling" Seven Kingdoms Book 1
Author:  Kristin Cashore
Publication Date:  9/2009

Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight -- she's a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king's thug.   — When she first meets Prince Po, Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change. She never expects to become Po's friend. She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace -- or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away... a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.
I think I'll take this and Book 2 of the series with me on vacation to read while sitting by the pool :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I look forward to getting lots of great book ideas for my TBR from everyone's Throwbacks and Review Pile.

Happy Reading!


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for participating! And what a great endorsement of Deeanne Gist - I'll definitely have to check her out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this one yet, but I'll need to check it out. I read Deep in the Heart of Trouble by Deeanne Gist and I really enjoyed her writing, so I need to work my way through all her books.

    My Throwback Thursday
    Gabby @ What's Beyond Forks?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I haven't heard of Deeanne Gist before, but that plot sounds really interesting! Great throwback!

    Thanks for participating!

    Also, Graceling is on my TBR pile too (just waiting to move to the top of the hold list at the library). I've heard such great things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read either one of these books, but both sound intriguing! That's why I like Throwback Thursday: new (to me) books I can probably find at the library! Woo-hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never run across Deeanne Gist's books yet but they sound FUN!! I'm going to go check her out and see how many I'm adding to my every growing TBR pile *sigh*

    Nice pick!!!
    -Kristin @myparahangover

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.