Monday, May 28, 2012

Unfamiliar Word ~ A Musing ~ 5/28/12

Each week Miz B at Should Be Reading asks a bookish question to muse over.

This week's musing:

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away?

No.  No, I don't.  I very rarely come across words that I'm not at least a bit familiar with but when I do, I try to figure out the meaning from the context in which it is used.  That usually works.  Then I think to myself:  "Why in the world did the author feel the need to use a word like that?"  Totally unnecessary. 

It kinda bugs me and I don't want to waste more reading time by looking it up.  Mostly because I'm usually either outside reading or nice and comfy in my bed and it would just be a bother.
Do you look up unfamiliar words while reading?

Musing along,


 

4 comments:

  1. That is exactly how I feel, plus I don't even think I own a dictionary. There is always google though.

    My MM
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH gods.. I have an excuse you guys, I have parents who got me in the habit I LOVE words, I own the full version of the OED in it's entirety (before they came out with it online)I usually can figure it out but.. anyway HERE IS MY MM BTW love the name of this site! oh and HAVE FUN IN DISNEY WORLD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say I come across a lot of words I don't know, but when I do I never pause to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    I agree. My vocabulary is reasonably good. If I find an unfamiliar word, I usually think the writer is trying to be needlessly difficult about it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.