Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Virtual Christmas Cookie Exchange ~ A Blog Hop


The Virtual Cookie Exchange is a fun blog hop to share your favorite recipes, Christmas traditions, and/or Christmas projects.  It is hosted by Carol @ Just Let Me Quilt.  

~~~~~~~~

This is my first time to join in a blog hop with Carol and Friends.  I'm taking this Virtual Christmas Cookie Exchange quite literally by sharing a Christmas Cookie Recipe.  Let me know if you give them a try!

~~~~~~~~~

Rich Date and Walnut Cookies




1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped dates
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 egg
Preheat oven to 350.

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Add softened butter and eggs.  Beat until thoroughly mixed.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Remove cookies from oven and let cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to cooling rack.  (Makes 2 1/2 to 3 dozen.)



Results

Up until I made these cookies I would have said, "Dates.  Ewww!"  I had never tried them because I didn't THINK I liked them.  They looked too much like raisins.  For the sake of this project, though, I thought I'd try out these cookies.  They smelled wonderful!  And guess what?  They tasted WONDERFUL!  Yummy!  What have I been missing all these years?

~~~~~~~~~

Go check out all the amazing participants of the Virtual Christmas Cookie Exchange Blog Hop!




Colletta

22 comments:

  1. Okay, now I have to go buy some dates. I usually stuff them with nuts and roll them in sugar as a sweet treat for the holidays. Now I have another way to use them. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cookies look amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fabulous and I have to say, I had the same thoughts about dates, until I started eating date muffins. They are awesome little things. My hubby would love these cookies with nuts in the too! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom used to make the best date filled cookies, so I learned to love dates. Your cookies look delicious and I can almost smell the yummy scents baked into them! My grandkids don't like nuts, but I think I could leave them out and they'd still be so good. I love the nuts, so I'm in for all the ingredients listed and can't wait to try them. Thank you for joining us this year and sharing this sweet recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the Hop! Those cookies look so good - I love dates!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recipe! I have never had dates but I do love raisins so I might have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the recipe, my husband would have loved these. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yum I don't like raisins, but I do love dates! My husband loves date cake, and everything I've ever made with dates has smelled wonderful while baking. I'm saving your recipe - thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So nice to have you join in on the hop! Love the recipe. My mom was absolutely in love with dates and got me hooked on them so I need to try these. Merry Christmas Colette ⛄️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Colletta! I haven't tried dates, either, that I know of. And worse yet - I like raisins!! I just might have to give these a try . . . and I won't tell anyone what's in them UNTIL they love them. HAHA! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo thank you! I've been wondering what the heck I can do with this bag of dates I bought!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm generally not a fan of dates, but it sounds like they would be yummy in this recipe, so I'll have to try it! Thanks for sharing it with us! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the Mejool(SP?) dates! This recipe sounds very yummy. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My dad loved dates and ate them all the time. I never really liked them that much, so thank you for pointing out that they are very good in this recipe. I don't mind raisins and prunes, so I might give the dates another try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My grandmother used to make date cookies all the time. They were moist and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made your recipe as bars and oh my goodness SOOOOO good! I knew my husband would love them too and he is going back for seconds as I write this. I could eat the whole pan. I used pecans instead of walnuts because that’s what I had. The pan I used is about 11 x 7, and it took longer to bake of course. It made 15 bars, and my husband put butter on his pieces - lol!
    Thank you so much for sharing this, we have a new favorite now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for letting me know! Pecans are my favorite so I might have to give that a try! Oh, and everything is better with butter on it :)

      Delete
    2. LOL yes my husband agrees with that. ;)

      Delete
  18. I love dates so this is a must try recipe for me. It sounds like all the Christmas tastes in one cookie bite. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cookies look very yummy. Thank you for the recipe. Pecans remind me of the holidays.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.