Monday, April 14, 2014

Monday's Musings ~ A New Start ~ 4/14/14



I read an article today on the internet about 13 women who had lost over 100 lbs. I wish I were one of them. It made me really sad. If I just would have stayed committed any of the numerous times I "started", I could be one of them. But I'm not.

Can I ever be? I question myself. Is it even possible? I think of the phrase "if you believe it, you can achieve it." But I honestly don't know if I can. I know I should be thinking positively. Especially with with the title of this post and wanting a "new start".  I'm just being honest with myself.

Being honest with myself. Maybe that is the key.

I had a check-up last Thursday and my dr. asked me about my exercise and diet. I could honestly tell him that I had started walking again and lowered my Dr. Pepper to one a day and the rest of the day I am drinking water. He said that was the picture of a healthy lifestyle to which I scoffed. I told him I was a long way from being that. His reply:

"A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step."

I, being me, need to have a plan. So what is my Thousand Mile plan?  My new start?

I wish I could go out there and do a 10 mile run but right now I'm lucky to make it walking 1 mile. So I need to be honest with myself about my limitations and where I am right now. What can I do RIGHT now?

Exercise: I will walk 1 mile a day Monday-Friday. When I get to the point that I'm ready to move it to 2 miles, I will.

Drink: One Dr. Pepper a day. (Maybe I can try to find Diet Dr. Pepper? That is a thought. I'll look when I go for groceries.) The rest of the day I will drink water.

Food: I've been debating what plan to use. What to do? What to do?

Any suggestions?  Any tips?  I'd love to hear from you.



4 comments:

  1. Diet Dr. Pepper is a great drink! But even better would be water or sparkling water, at least there would be no sugar substitutes. Personally, dieting is probably the hardest task to stick to but I find if I abstain from sweets & things with sugar, after a few days, the cravings stop. Then I stick to fruits & veggies & of course, protein. May God plant in us the determination & focus to stay healthy. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Losing weight is HARD!! Just a note on the Diet sodas....the artificial sweetener can make it even harder to lose weight, plus they are even worse for you than sugar...... Drinking a lot of water - or water with some lemon in it or herb teas can help (I need to do this more). Also, I find that when my body is getting the correct nutrients and enough of them, I don't tend to crave foods, so I am trying to get that figured out again. Keep up the good work. :) Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is true that even diet sodas are not good for you, but if you just have to have one Diet Dr Pepper taste pretty good. A few years ago I decided to get healthy and lose a little weight, so I cut out white flour, sugar and cokes. I lost about 20 lbs in about 3 months, just with those little changes. If you are a chocoholic like I was, it may be hard at first to kick the sugar habit. After about a week I didn't crave sweets of any kind.

    I kept those 20 lbs off for a while and slowly I started drinking coke again, then white flour and yep you guessed it, sugar! I gained the weight back and a few more. So once again I am trying to eat healthier and drink water instead of coke. I add a little lemon to my water, and it helps.

    Good for you though, you are taking baby steps and are walking. You will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loosing weight is soooooo hard!! I am not too overweight but four years ago I had gained over 20 pounds and found how hard it is to take it off. I gained back 5 pounds and although that sounds like just a little, once some pounds come on more are sure to follow.

    I KNOW you CAN do it!! You really can!! Walking a mile is great. Have you ever heard of T-Tapp?? You should look into it. It has helped me a LOT.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.