Thursday, November 15, 2012

Theme Thursday ~ One Lesson ~ 11/15/12


THIS WEEK’S topic is:

If you could impress one lesson, ideal, or moral on your children, what would it be?


As a parent, there are so many things that we want to teach our children.  We feel the need to impart all the wisdom we possess to insure our children's future success.  Everything from how to sort laundry to being trustworthy become lessons we want our children to learn and exercise in their lives.


Being a parent can seem like quite a daunting and oftentimes very scary job.  We second guess ourselves and our child-rearing abilities at every turn.  At least I do, so I imagine others are the same way.


We feel that the kind of adult our child turns out to be reflects our success as a parent.  Did we do everything we could?  Should I have done things differently?  Should I have been more lenient?  Should I have enrolled my daughter in dance class or gotten my son braces?  There are so, so many choices to be made on the day-to-day basis of parenting.

But, honestly, I don't think those things really matter all that much.  Yes, our children need to be taught life skills and be shaped and molded into upstanding adults who can be a great asset to society at large.  I believe that all things are valuable and believe that all these qualities can begin by instilling one very important truth in their hearts.    

That truth is that they are a Child of the King.  They are loved beyond comprehension by the God who formed them in my womb.  Everything God has done is for them, me and you.  

He created this beautiful earth for us.  He sent His Son to die for us.  We are always in His thoughts and He can't stand the thought of not spending eternity with us.  We are precious to Him.  We aren't just a collection of cells or alone in the world.  We each are loved with a love that will never end and never fail no matter what happens here on Earth.  

We are not promised that everything will always be rosy or that bad things won't happen but He will be with us through those bad things.  Even when we can't "feel" Him, He is there.  God is more than a feeling we have.  He is real.  He is truth.  He is trustworthy.  He is love.    

I hope and pray that I can impress this love on my children.  I hope and pray that I can teach them that because of this love, we should love God with all our heart and soul and cling to Him always.  He will be our Stronghold but it is our job to hold strongly to Him.  It is also our honor to serve Him because of His great lovingkindness.    

This is the one lesson I would impress on my daughters.  The rest will all fall into place.    




      Next week's topic:  My biggest vacation disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.