Thursday, October 13, 2016

Book Review ~ Deeply Devoted by Maggie Brendan ~ 10/13/16

 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
10329485
 
Blurb:
 
When Catharine Olsen leaves Holland for Wyoming as a mail-order bride, she brings some extra baggage with her: two sisters, her mother's set of Blue Willow china, and a tragic past. As she steps off the train, Peter Andersen is glad to see that she is everything her letters showed her to be. But he is a bit perturbed by her unexpected companions. How will he support them all? And what other secrets might Catharine be keeping from him?

Filled with sweet romance and vivid characters, Deeply Devoted highlights a clash of cultures as a highborn European and a simple wheat farmer learn to love one another and trust God with the past--and the future.
  

My Thoughts:
 
What to say about this book????
 
It was a bit too mushy and touchy-feely for me in the beginning with the mail-order bride and groom seemingly in love from the start.  But...the author hinted at many secrets being withheld so I kept reading out of curiosity to see if I could figure it out before the author clued me in.
 
I did figure out some of the secrets but wasn't fully prepared for the whole truth.
 
The groom wasn't either!
 
In came the conflict and an over-bearing mother-in-law.
 
I'm really glad I kept reading as this was a good set-up book for the rest of the series of the "Blue Willow Brides".  I look forward to reading more about Anna and Greta the younger sisters of Catharine.  I already have one of the books on my shelf and look forward to getting my hands on the third. 
 
 
 Thanks for stopping by!  Please leave a comment with a link so I can return the visit!

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this author or the series...thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of these! Interesting. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I have this book in my pile. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing this post at Booknificent Thursday on Mommynificent.com this week!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.