Monday, May 25, 2020

Book Review ~ The Road Through Rushbury by Martha Keyes


~~~~~~~~~~~~



Title:  The Road Through Rushbury by Martha Keyes
Series: Seasons of Change Book #1
Pages:  245
Date Published:  April 28, 2020
Publisher:  ???

 Blurb:
All she needs is a little bit of change. She'll have to fight him for it.

Georgiana Paige is on the shelf after eight full Seasons in London and not a single offer of marriage. When the opportunity to act as companion to her spinster aunt presents itself, she jumps at the chance to escape the Marriage Mart and embark on a new adventure. Upon her eventful arrival in the tiny Yorkshire village, though, she finds herself confronted with a man who both piques her interest and provokes her pride.

A lowly country vicar, Samuel Derrick would do anything to keep his coarse but idyllic parish the way it is. When change arrives there in the form of multiple new tenants straight from London, he vows to fight against their meddling. He is unprepared, though, for Georgiana Paige and the way she forces herself into the inner workings of the parish. His past experience tells him to keep the woman at arm's length, but his heart—and her determination to stay involved—won't allow for it.

As the village fights against the industrialization and poverty sweeping the North, Samuel and Georgiana find themselves working to pull the village together, even as those around them seemed determined to pull it apart. But how can two people who have lived such disparate lives bring anything together when they are fighting against their own desires for change and love?
My Thoughts:

Martha Keyes is another new-to-me author.  I am absolutely loving being able to read all these new authors and stories!

"The Road Through Rushbury" seemed an odd title to me before I started reading the novel.  Now, I think it the perfect name for the book.  The "road" is almost a character unto itself!

I felt that Georgiana was far too good natured.  She let so much roll right off her back.  I guess that is something for me to aspire to.  I take things a bit personally.

Samuel got on my nerves at times with his reverse snobbery!  He was so harsh toward Georgiana; until he wasn't; and then he was again when the conflict arose.  I guess I expected more from him as a vicar but he had been hurt in the past by someone of Georgiana's "class".

I loved how the author evolved both characters throughout the progression of the book.  I fell a bit in love with Rushbury and its citizens myself.  I could certainly understand Georgiana's desire to stay there rather than be in the London "crush".

I enjoyed how the story comes full circle back to the "The Road Through Rushbury" with Georgiana wielding her pistol once again :)

This is a sweet, clean regency romance that I highly recommend.  I look forward to reading the rest of the "Seasons of Change" series :)

I downloaded this book through Kindle Unlimited.

On to the next book!

Colletta

1 comment:

  1. Soundness if the setting is perfect and plays a huge role in the success of the book!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.