Thursday, February 18, 2021

My Weekly Bookishness ~ 2/19/2021


All things bookish!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I Read:


I didn't get anything new read this week.  There were a few DNF's.  So I'll just leave this here for another week.

You can read the blurb and my review HERE!

~~~~~~~~~~

What I'm Reading:


Blurb:

You can take the detective out of the investigation, but you can't take the investigator out of the detective.

A notorious gang puts a bounty on Detective Cady Matthews’s head after she takes down their leader, leaving her no choice but to hide until she can testify at trial. But her temporary home across the country on a remote North Carolina island isn’t as peaceful as she initially thinks.

Living under the new identity of Cassidy Livingston, she struggles to keep her investigative skills tucked away, especially after a body washes ashore. When local police bungle the murder investigation, she can’t resist stepping in. But Cassidy is supposed to be keeping a low profile. One wrong move could lead to both her discovery and her demise.

Can she bring justice to the island . . . or will the hidden currents surrounding her pull her under for good?
 


First Lines:

Prologue

At the sound of a footfall behind her, Cady Matthew's back muscles tightened faster than a mousetrap snapping its prey.

56%/Page 56

Cassidy (Cady) knelt on the beach and picked up the white debris she'd seen wash up.

~~~~~~~~~~~

What I'll (Probably) Read Next:


Blurb:

When a mysterious woman washes up in Cape Corral, a wild horse sanctuary off North Carolina's coast, law enforcement officer Levi Sutherland is determined to figure out if she's connected with the crimes recently plaguing the island. The problem is, she can't remember anything . . . 

~~~~~~~~~~

What I Can't Wait To Read:


Blurb:

Based on true accounts of how Parisiennes resisted the Nazi occupation in World War II—from fashion houses to the city streets—comes a story of two courageous women who risked everything to fight an evil they couldn’t abide.

Paris, 1939. Maison Chanel has closed, thrusting haute couture dressmaker Lila de Laurent out of the world of high fashion as Nazi soldiers invade the streets and the City of Lights slips into darkness. Lila’s life is now a series of rations, brutal restrictions, and carefully controlled propaganda while Paris is cut off from the rest of the world. Yet in hidden corners of the city, the faithful pledge to resist. Lila is drawn to La Resistance and is soon using her skills as a dressmaker to infiltrate the Nazi elite. She takes their measurements and designs masterpieces, all while collecting secrets in the glamorous Hôtel Ritz—the heart of the Nazis’ Parisian headquartersBut when dashing René Touliard suddenly reenters her world, Lila finds her heart tangled between determination to help save his Jewish family and bolstering the fight for liberation.

Paris, 1943. Sandrine Paquet’s job is to catalog the priceless works of art bound for the Führer’s Berlin, masterpieces stolen from prominent Jewish families. But behind closed doors, she secretly forages for information from the underground resistance. Beneath her compliant façade lies a woman bent on uncovering the fate of her missing husband . . . but at what cost? As Hitler’s regime crumbles, Sandrine is drawn in deeper when she uncrates an exquisite blush Chanel gown concealing a cryptic message that may reveal the fate of a dressmaker who vanished from within the fashion elite.

Told across the span of the Nazi occupation, The Paris Dressmaker highlights the brave women who used everything in their power to resist darkness and restore light to their world.

~~~~~~~~~~

What I Was Reading 5 Years Ago:

Originally a feature called Last Year I Was Reading created by Maria from ReadingMaria
Literary Feline liked it enough to continue, but has tweaked it
 to feature Five Years Ago I Was Reading. 




~~~~~~~~~~

Book Haul:

 
 



 ~~~~~~~~~~

Book Blogger Hop:

Q.  Is reading a fixed part of your morning or evening routine? (submitted by Elizabeth @ Complex Chaos)

A. I usually don't get much reading done in the morning as that is when I take care of everything else I have to do that day.  For the most part my reading routine is usually afternoon before making dinner, while making dinner and in the evening.  Unless...I'm really into a book then I might make an exception :)

~~~~~~~~~~

Bookishly Yours,


Linking up to: 

   
https://hoardingbooksblog.wordpress.com/


https://www.coffeeaddictedwriter.com/

http://www.fredasvoice.com/  http://www.rosecityreader.com/

28 comments:

  1. How fun! I really like the idea of "What I was reading 5 years ago."
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That If I run series was excellent! https://moretoodiscover.blogspot.com/2021/02/book-spotlight-fridays-obsession-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hidden Currents sounds like a good read. I read every night. Doesn't matter how late I get into bed. I guess it's my sleeping tablet of sort. I normally read on my kindle in bed and sometimes it's only a page or two, sometimes a chapter or two and if it's holidays - the whole book.

    Have a good weekend Coletta!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. That opening really starts with a bang, doesn't it? Hidden Currents sounds like a good read, and I like the looks of The Paris Dressmaker, too! Like you, I don't tend to do much reading in the morning, either, because it's the time of day where I actually actively try to be productive doing other things. I use my reading time in the evening when my brain has given up. xD

    Here's my Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read a lot of suspense, but somehow I’ve never read any of Christy Barritt’s books! Today on my blog I’m sharing the first line from Network of Deceit by Tom Threadgill. Have a great weekend and happy reading! 😊

    http://gracetogrowblog.com/network-of-deceit-tom-threadgill/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your book sounds fun this week! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Paris Dressmaker cover is stunning! It's good to hear that you get time to read each day - my kindle is never far from my hand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first line is from A Dance in Donegal by Jennifer Deibel.
    Boston. October 1920
    The grandfather clock downstairs chimed the hour, its clangs all too reminiscent of the funeral bells presiding over Mother’s funeral just yesterday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cover of your current read makes me nostalgic for Nancy Drew. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually only read at night or else I wouldn't get anything done throughout the day. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hidden Currents sounds like something I would enjoy. I hope you are liking it so far! I love the cover of The Paris Dressmaker--and it sounds good too. I am adding that to my wish list. I don't think I've read anything by Terri Blackstock but the book your were reading five years ago does sound interesting!

    I hope you have a great weekend and week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmm, creepy footfall... Here is my post: https://francebooktours.com/2021/02/19/lorigine-first-line-fridays/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Most of those look like good books. I am reading two books at the moment and as soon as they are finished I have two more to read. I sure enjoy reading

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Friday! My first line is from "Lacewood" by Jessica James:

    " "Recalculating." Katie McCain smacked the steering wheel with both hands and then glared at the navigation screen."

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Friday! Today, I'm sharing the first lines from Of Sword and Shadow by A. L. Sowards. "I don't remember the name my mother gave me. Nor can I recall each of the hundreds of names I've used since."

    https://moments-of-beauty.blogspot.com/2021/02/first-line-fridays-of-sword-and-shadow.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can never resist adding anything-Paris to my TBR. Paris Dressmaker is now on my list.

    I used to participate in the Hop each week, but somehow I've gotten away from it. I have an easy answer, though, to this week's question: both.

    I like the sharing of what you were reading five years ago. I can imagine looking back ten, twenty, thirty years might be fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I should like The Paris dressmaker, but I'm more attracted to The saltwater cowboy - I love horses, the sea and murder stories ^^ I like reading before falling asleep, it's the best quiet time for me. Enjoy your week !

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the idea of tracking what you were reading five years ago! I love the variety of books that you read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice book haul. Saltwater Cowboy appeals to me. I hope you enjoy all your new books.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh great book choices! I'm also excited for The Paris Dressmaker, I hope it's as good as it sounds :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never read anything by Christy Barrett; will have to keep an eye out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice looking assortment of books! The Paris Dressmaker sounds good. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I definitely have a reading schedule. I read for an hour after lunch, while my son does is SSR (silent reading) for school. I also try to read for an hour before bed. In between that, I might snatch a few more moments when I can or listen to an audio book. Have a great week! - Melinda @ A Web of Stories

    ReplyDelete
  24. That dress on the Paris book is exquisite! The book sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like the looks of your new books, especially Hidden Currents, although Saltwater Cowboy comes in close.
    I can read audio anytime of the day but ebooks more at night.
    Have a great week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  26. And Here is my Book Beginnings: https://francebooktours.com/2021/02/26/lorigine-book-beginnings/

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.