Monday, October 4, 2010

Spicy Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies


Spicy Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies are the first cookie ever made during "Colletta's Christmas Cookie Try-outs".  Click on the button above to see more about the Try-outs.

Before I get into the recipe, I must tell you about a kitchen gadget that I will be using for basically every cookie recipe I make.  It is the Pampered Chef Scoop


There are 3 different sized scoops and the smallest is absolutely perfect for cookies.


Uniform in size and oh-so-easy to scoop the cookies onto the cookie sheet.


Now on to the recipe.


Spicy Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies

3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon allspice
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 egg
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened

1.  Preheat oven to 375.  Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Add egg and butter. 

2.  Beat on low speed or mix by hand until mixture is thoroughly blended.

3.  Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls (or scoops!) onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for 10 to 12 mintues.

4.  Remove from oven and let cookies cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute.  Transfer to cooling rack.  (Makes 2 to 2 1/2 dozen.)

Icing (Optional)

1 cup powdered sugar, divided
1-2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

1.  In small bowl, combine powdered sugar with 1 Tablespoon milk and vanilla.  Stir until smooth, adding additional milk as necessary until drizzling conisistency is reached.  Drizzle over cookies and let set.

Results

I don't like raisins so I have to admit that I didn't actually eat one of these cookies.  However, oatmeal-raisin is my mom's favorite cookie so she was my taste-tester.

They passed with flying colors!

Let me know if you try this recipe and if you like it.




Linking to:

3 comments:

  1. Well, Lettie, as you know, I did not bake these cookies, but I sure did love eating yours. Thanks for the additional pounds I am now carrying.
    Honestly they were very good.
    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like raisins in cookies either, but everything else looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love allspice in my cookies, so I can practically taste these tempting morsels now! I love using cookie scoops in the kitchen - I have 6 of them in differing sizes, including the PC one. Love, love, love.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.