Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Book Review: "Scattered Petals" by Amanda Cabot

Scattered Petals (Texas Dreams, Bk 2)
 


Title:  "Scattered Petals"
Series:  Texas Dreams Book 2
Author:  Amanda Cabot
Publisher:  Revell
Publication Date:  3/1/2010
Pages:  382

Book Description (PBS):

Longing for adventure, Priscilla Morton leaves Boston and heads for Texas, never dreaming that the adventure she seeks will leave her badly injured and her parents dead. Priscilla is determined to rebuild her life and make a home for herself in the beautiful Hill Country. But the bandits who took her parents' lives also destroyed her hope for the future.
Ranch foreman Zachary Webster knows what the future holds for him, and it's not a woman like Priscilla. She deserves a cultured East Coast gentleman, not a cowboy who's haunted by memories of his mistakes. The best thing he can do is leave her alone. When necessity draws them together, Priscilla and Zach begin to forge a life that, like the scattered petals of her childhood, is filled with promise. But then the past intrudes, threatening their very existence.

My Overall Feeling of the Book:

This was the second book of the Texas Dreams series.  I pulled it off my TBR pile to read as part of the "All Series, All Summer 2012". 

I had picked this book up to read a while back and right from the beginning it was just a bit tragic for me at the time.  I also have book 3 on my pile so I wanted to get it read so that I can finish up this series.

I really had to push my way through this book.  The writing was spectacular but the subject matter was so deep, tragic, and depressing and that isn't usually what I like to read.

We're talking everything from murder to comtemplating suicide.  I don't want to give it ALL away but a person definitely has to be in a good place to read about all the heartache in this book.

My Favorite Character:

My favorite character was Zach Webster, the hero.  He swoops in on his trusty steed and saves the day :)  What a man!

My Favorite Scene:

When Zack and Priscilla have a picnic in the middle of a field of bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush.

My Favorite Sentence/Paragraph:
Everything that had happened had been part of God's plan.  The losses she had endured had made her stronger.  Her suffering had given her the ability to help others.  And through it all, God had been guiding her.  This was where she was meant to be.

Priscilla Webster page 380 


It Woud Have Been Better If:

If there could have been just a little bit more light-heartedness.  There were so few scenes of joy and happiness.  For me to really like a book the joy had to at least equal the grief.

I Would Recommend This Book To:

Someone that doesn't have problems reading books that contain very deep issues.

Rating

3/5

On to the next book,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.