Friday, July 13, 2012

Book Review: "Abbie Ann" by Sharlene MacLaren

Abbie Ann (Daughters of Jacob Kane, Bk 3)

Title:  "Abbie Ann"
Series:  Daughters of Jacob Kane Book 3
Publisher:  Whitaker House
Publication Date:  4/6/2010
Pages:  501
Buy From Amazon:  HERE

Book Description (PBS):

Abbie Ann Kane, the youngest of Jacob Kane's three daughters, is a busy woman. Between running the Whatnot, the family's general store, being active in the Women's Christian Temperance Union, and assisting the elderly citizens of Sandy Shores, Michigan, she has little time for frivolous matters. And those include matters of the heart

When the recently divorced Noah Carson comes to town with son Toby in tow to pursue a shipbuilding business, Abbie Ann tries to keep her distance - especially when his flagrant ex-wife shows up. But God has other plans in mind!


My Overall Feeling of the Book:

This was the third book of the "Daughters of Jacob Kane" series.  I read it as part of the "All Series, All Summer 2012" and also the "Once Upon a Read-a-Thon.  Another series finished :)

I read this book immediately after "Maggie Rose", the second book of the series.  The setting is once again Sandy Shores, Michigan.  I loved the description of the town and streets and also the surrounding beaches and lake.  I think it would be a place I wouldn't mind living.

This book was very long.  I missed finishing it for the RAT by 200 pages.  I just couldn't stay awake any longer.


My Favorite Character:

Noah Carson was my favorite character.  Yum, yum, yum!  He had been through a lot.  His mother dying at a young age, his father being a drunk, his wife cheating on him, losing his business.  While all these took a toll on him, he still seemed to have kept his sense of humor and playfullness.  What a man!  lol

My Favorite Scene:

I loved the scene where Abbie Ann makes up an excuse to go see Noah by saying she had to give Toby, his son, a memory verse to learn.  As she's waiting for Noah to answer the door she slips on the icy porch and lands flat on her butt just as Noah opens the door!  So embarassing!


My Favorite Sentence/Paragraph:
"Oh, the scandal.  Can't you see the headlines now?  'Woman's Christian Temperance Union Leader Caught in Questionable Position under Wagon with Local Shipbuilder."

"Oh, my."  In spite of herself, she laughered, and he joined in.  "It would be completely incorrect, of course, sinse there is no 'questionable' activitiy involved."

"Want to bet?"

Just like that, he lowered his face, which didn't have far to go and planted a warm, moist, toe-curling kiss on her mouth.

Abbie Ann and Noah pages 272-273


It Would Have Been Better If:

I thought it was a bit drawn out at times.  I didn't think I was ever going to get to the end of the 501 pages.

I Would Recommend This Book To:

Small town dwellers, youngest children, women's rights history buffs, those who have had to deal with the unpleasant effects of alcohol in loved ones, single parents, sailors, those who live by a lake :)


Rating

4/5

On to the next book,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.