Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Book Review: "A Night Like This" by Julia Quinn


A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet, Bk 2)

Title:  "A Night Like This"
Series:  Smythe-Smith Quartet Book 2
Author:  Julia Quinn
Publisher:  Avon
Publication Date:  5/29/2012
Pages:  384
Buy From Amazon:  HERE

Book Description (PBS):

Anne Wynter might not be who she says she is . . . — But she's managing quite well as a governess to three highborn young ladies. Her job can be a challenge -- in a single week she finds herself hiding in a closet full of tubas, playing an evil queen in a play that might be a tragedy (or might be a comedy -- no one is sure), and tending to the wounds of the oh-so-dashing Earl of Winstead. After years of dodging unwanted advances, he's the first man who has truly tempted her, and it's getting harder and harder to remind herself that a governess has no business flirting with a nobleman.

Daniel Smythe-Smith Might be in mortal danger . . .

But that's not going to stop the young earl from falling in love. And when he spies a mysterious woman at his family's annual musicale, he vows to pursue her, even if that means spending his days with a ten-year-old who thinks she's a unicorn. But Daniel has an enemy, one who has vowed to see him dead. And when Anne is thrown into peril, he will stop at nothing to ensure their happy ending . . .

My Overall Feeling of the Book:

Another great book from Julia Quinn!  This book was romantic, funny and heart-breaking all in one.  One of my favorite things about Julia Quinn's books are the humor.  And I think it would take a great deal of humor to make it through a "Smythe-Smith Musicale"!


My Favorite Character:

My favorite character had to be Frances the 10-year-old cousin of Daniel.  She is a hilarious little girl who is obsessed with unicorns :)

My Favorite Scene:

My favorite scene is when Daniel and Anne are rehearsing Harriet's play with her two sisters.  The banter back and forth is so perfect and of course, unicorns come into paly.


My Favorite Sentence/Paragraph:
"No, no, no, Miss Wynter!"  Harriet exclaimed.  "You don't sound upset at all."

"Well, I'm not," Anne admitted.  "The daughter is a bit of a ninny.  I should think the evil queen would be glad to get her off her hands."

Page 179
It Would Have Been Better If:

The next Julia Quinn book was in my hands, ready to be read and finished in the wee hours of the morning.

I also really hope to hear more about Hugh in a future book.  hint.hint.

I Would Recommend This Book To:

Julia Quinn fans, regency romance lovers, people with large extended families, teachers, nannies, and of course people who are partial to unicorns!


Rating

5/5

On to the next book,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.