Friday, July 13, 2012

Book Review: "Maggie Rose" by Sharlene MacLaren

Maggie Rose (Daughters of Jacob Kane, Bk 2)

Title:  "Maggie Rose"
Series:  Daughters of Jacob Kane Book 2
Publisher:  Whitaker House
Publication Date:  6/8/2009
Pages:  416
Buy From Amazon:  HERE

Book Description (PBS):

The year is 1904, and Maggie Rose, the spunky, friendly, twenty-year-old middle daughter of Michigan resident Jacob Kane, feels compelled to leave her beloved hometown of Sandy Shores to pursue what she feels in her heart are God's plans for her life - in New York City. Maggie Rose adjusts to her new life at Sheltering Arms Refuge, an orphan... more »age that also transports homeless children to towns across the United States to match them with compatible families.

Most of the children have painful pasts that make Maggie aghast, but she marvels at their resiliency. As she gets to know each child, her heart blossoms with new depths of love and compassion. When a newspaper reporter comes to stay at the orphanage in order to gather research for an article, Maggie is struck by his handsome face-and concerned by his lack of faith. She can't deny their mutual affections, though. Will she win the struggle to maintain her focus on God and remain attuned to His guidance?


My Overall Feeling of the Book:

This was the second book of the "Daughters of Jacob Kane" series.  I read it as part of the "All Series, All Summer 2012" and also the "Once Upon a Read-a-Thon.

It has been quite a while since I read Book 1 of this series but I remember really enjoying it.  This book takes places almost entirely in a different location.  From Sandy Shores, Michigan to New York City.  I enjoyed the variation.

I loved learning more about the "orphan trains" and how the book was based around taking care of children with no parents or homes.  I really connected with this as my Grandmother was raised in an orphanage after her parents passed away.

My Favorite Character:

I have a soft-spot for grandmotherly characters in books.  Maybe because I miss my own so much or maybe because the orphange theme of the book reminded me or her.  So Mrs. Virginia Bingham, aka Ginny (my Mom's name, btw), the proprietor of the orphange was my favorite character.  She was wonderful.  Picture a perfect grandmother figure and she was it.


My Favorite Scene:

My favorite scene is when Maggie Rose and Luke rescue Clara from an unspeakable situation for a 12 year-old to be in.  I don't want to give too many details but it was very suspenseful!

My Favorite Sentence/Paragraph:

The reverend made a careful study of each solemn, youthful face.  "You are about to embark on a great adventure, my dear, young friends," he told the orphans.  "May the Lord go with each of you was you depart for places unknown."

Reverend Miles page 257 (as the orphans are getting on the train to head west.)


It Would Have Been Better If:

It was heartbreaking to read about the children who weren't picked to be adopted.  But, I wouldn't have changed that about the book.  It made it all the more sweet in the ending :)

Maggie almost seemed a little too perfect.  Other than that I can't really think of anything I would change. 


I Would Recommend This Book To:

Parents, teenagers, I Love NYC'ers, turn of the century history buffs, teachers, childcare workers, reporters, writers, those living away from home.

Rating

4/5

On to the next book,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.