Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Book Review ~ A Respectable Actress by Dorothy Love

 
~~~~~~~~~~~~



 Blurb:
 
When the illustrious India Hartley is accused of murder, she has to uncover the deceptions of others to save herself.

India Hartley, the famous and beautiful actress, is now alone in the world after her father’s death and embarks upon a tour of theaters across the South. Her first stop is Savannah’s Southern Palace. On the eve of the second night’s performance, something goes horribly wrong. Her co-star, Arthur Sterling, is shot dead on stage in front of a packed house, and India is arrested and accused of the crime.

A benefactor hires Philip Sinclair, the best—and handsomest—lawyer in Savannah to defend India. A widower, Philip is struggling to reinvent his worn-out plantation on St. Simons Island. He needs to increase his income from his law practice in order to restore Indigo Point, and hardly anything will bring him more new clients than successfully defending a famous actress on a murder charge.

Because India can’t go anywhere in town without being mobbed, Philip persuades the judge handling her case to let him take her to Indigo Point until her trial date. India is charmed by the beauty of the Georgia low country and is increasingly drawn to Philip. But a locked room that appears to be a shrine to Philip’s dead wife and the unsolved disappearance of a former slave girl raise troubling questions. Piecing together clues in an abandoned boat and a burned-out chapel, India discovers a trail of dark secrets that lead back to Philip, secrets that ultimately may hold the key to her freedom. If only he will believe her.
 


My Thoughts:
 
I picked this book up at Ollie's for $3.99.  The cover drew my attention and then the blurb sealed the deal for me even though I'd never read a book by this author before.

This book is filled with great information about the history of theater.  While that didn't interest me completely, the murder mystery that wound around it did!

I loved the time that India stayed at Indigo Point and all the mysteries shrouded there as well.

I don't know if I've ever read a book that was based on a lawyer-client relationship and it was fascinating.

I really liked India's and Philip's characters.  The romance was so cleverly wound around everything that was going on that I didn't completely know how it was going to end up.

Dororthy Love did a great job on "A Respectable Acress" and I look forward to reading more of her books!


If you haven't read this book, stop here!  If you've read the book or don't mind major spoilers, keep reading!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I COULD NOT believe that Laura, Philip's "wife" was still alive!  What a plot twist!

Her whole storyline was so disturbing with the murder of Hannah June just so she could fake her death!

Creeped me out a bit that someone could be so twiested!  lol





Colletta


1 comment:

  1. That sounds like an intriguing book and I may have to see if I can find it.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.