Monday, June 28, 2010

Book Review: "Snow Melts in Spring" by Deborah Vogts

Season of the Tallgrass Book One

Book Description

She loves the land. Mattie Evans grew up in the Flint Hills of Kansas. Although her family has lost their ranch, she still calls this land home. A skilled young veterinarian, she struggles to gain the confidence of the local ranchers. Fortunately, her best friend and staunchest supporter is John McCray, owner of the Lightning M Ranch. They both love the ranch, and can't imagine living anywhere but in the Flint Hills. He's haunted by it.


Gil McCray, John's estranged son, is a pro football player living in California. The ranch is where his mother died and where every aspect of the tallgrass prairie stirs unwanted memories of his older brother's fatal accident. Gil decides leaving the ranch is the best solution for his ailing father and his own ailing heart. But he doesn't count on falling in love. Falling in love isn't an option. Or is it?


When Mattie is called in to save a horse injured in a terrible accident, she finds herself unwillingly tossed into the middle of a family conflict. Secret pain, secret passions, and secret agendas play out against the beautiful landscapes as love leads to some unexpected conclusions about forgiveness and renewal.


My Thoughts:
I always get excited when I get to read the first book in a series. I anticipate learning the character and the settings and then revisiting them in the next book. But, only if the first book in the series strikes something in me and makes me desire to read more.


This first book in the "Seasons of the Tallgrass" impressed me and I definitely want to read more.


I had a problem with how much stock the characters put into certain places and it almost costs them everything. But in the end this is one of the hurdles that they have to overcome.


I liked the ending even if it was a little bit predictable.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Coletta. Thanks for the post about my book Seeds of Summer. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Blessings to you & your readers.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.