Friday, June 11, 2010

Book Review: "A Journey By Chance" by Sally John

Book 1 of "The Other Way Home Series"

Book Description:
In A Journey by Chance, the first book of the series, Dr. Gina Philips heads from Southern California to the tiny Midwest town of Valley Oaks for her cousin’s wedding. Her plan to heal from a failed relationship and escape from a lost job is interrupted by the persistent attention of a local, Brady, and the quirkiness of small town America.

But just when Gina thinks she has the town figured out, a secret is revealed that will forever change her family and her relationship to the mysterious Brady.

My Thoughts:
This was my first book written by Sally John. I identified with the small town life portrayed in the book. Everyone knowing everyone and their business. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Someone who grew up in a big city would probably have a hard time adjusting though. As did Gina. She never ever thouht she'd enjoy spending time in Valley Oaks but she grows to love it and the small time vibe.

This book had lots of twist and turns and a secondary romance involving Gina's mom and dad who have to learn to love again after falling deep in the rut of marriage.

If anything, I learned more from the married couple's struggle to reconnect with each other as individuals rather than just "mom and dad" making a home for their child. In the book they almost had to start again from the very beginning of getting to know one another.

I can apply this to my marriage of almost 10 years and having 2 daughters ages 9 and 3. My husband and I must not only be "mom and dad" but also each other's best friend and work to keep the romance alive and not fall into the rut that is so very slippery and easy to fall into.

I'm looking forward to reading the addition 3 books in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.