Thursday, May 5, 2022

My Weekly Bookishness ~ 5/6/202


All things bookish!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I Read:
~~~~~~~~~~

What I'm Reading:


Blurb:

Eva Traube Abrams, a semi-retired librarian in Florida, is shelving books one morning when her eyes lock on a photograph in a magazine lying open nearby. She freezes; it’s an image of a book she hasn’t seen in sixty-five years—a book she recognizes as The Book of Lost Names.

The accompanying article discusses the looting of libraries by the Nazis across Europe during World War II—an experience Eva remembers well—and the search to reunite people with the texts taken from them so long ago. The book in the photograph, an eighteenth-century religious text thought to have been taken from France in the waning days of the war, is one of the most fascinating cases. Now housed in Berlin’s Zentral- und Landesbibliothek library, it appears to contain some sort of code, but researchers don’t know where it came from—or what the code means. Only Eva holds the answer—but will she have the strength to revisit old memories and help reunite those lost during the war?

As a graduate student in 1942, Eva was forced to flee Paris after the arrest of her father, a Polish Jew. Finding refuge in a small mountain town in the Free Zone, she begins forging identity documents for Jewish children fleeing to neutral Switzerland. But erasing people comes with a price, and along with a mysterious, handsome forger named Rémy, Eva decides she must find a way to preserve the real names of the children who are too young to remember who they really are. The records they keep in The Book of Lost Names will become even more vital when the resistance cell they work for is betrayed and Rémy disappears.

First Lines:

"It's a Saturday morning, and I'm midway through my shift at the Winter Park Public Library when I see it.  The book I last laid eyes on more than six decades ago."

56%/Page 56

"I grow these in my garden," Madame Barbier interrupted.  " And you both look--and sound--famished.  So have some food.  I won't ask again."

~~~~~~~~~~~

What I'll (Probably) Read Next:


Blurb:

Event coordinator Noelle Carter's main priority is running the successful company her grandparents founded. After all, they're the ones who raised her, and she's the one they entrusted their business to after their deaths. So when a letter comes across her desk inviting her to plan the annual Spring Fling event in her grandmother's hometown of Balsam Falls, Nebraska, she's faced with a choice: stay and work on maintaining Carter, Inc.'s current success, or go and take a leap of faith--outside her comfort zone.

For contractor Wynn Bryant, helping others is the key to life's greatest blessings. Over the past ten years, he and his brother have built homes for those who need them, creating a reputable name for themselves. Between that and helping out at the Serendipity Inn, his parents' bed and breakfast, he's put his other dreams on the back burner for now. Until the mayor ropes him into restoring The Gardens with a beautiful but guarded young CEO from Mississippi.

Connected by a desire to help others, Wynn and Noelle dive into restoring a neglected piece of Balsam Falls's history while learning from, and of, their own pasts. Together they uncover past secrets, face current challenges, and help each other discover healing and forgiveness in ways neither imagined. Will their discoveries lead to love, or are some things better left as they are?
 

~~~~~~~~~~

Book Haul:


   ~~~~~~~~~~

Book Blogger Hop:

Q.  Have you ever participated in a book tour? (submitted by Billy @ Coffee Addicted Writer)


A.  Yes, I used to participate in book tours all the time.  It was great fun to receive the books in the mail.  However, after a while it felt more like a job than reading for fun.  I'm definitely a mood reader so HAVING to read a certain book by a certain date got old for me.  I quit participating in book tours quite a while ago.  I do miss it sometimes, though!

~~~~~~~~~~

Bookishly Yours,


Linking up to: 

   


https://www.coffeeaddictedwriter.com/

http://www.fredasvoice.com/  http://www.rosecityreader.com/


11 comments:

  1. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently finishing up Let It Be Me by Becky Wade. I LOVE it!!!
    "Concentration proved impossible after Sebastian's phone call."
    I hope you have a delightful weekend. Happy reading! 😀❤📚

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful read! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From When the Day Comes by Gabrielle Meyer:
    For as long as I could remember, my mama had told me that my life was a gift. But at the age of nineteen, I had yet to see how this life I was living – or rather, the lives I was living – could be anything other than a burden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Book of Lost Names looks interesting! I'm just starting Wildfire Threat by Cathy McDavid: "Aden Whitley stepped out of his truck and into a cloud of smoke thick and heavy enough to fell a man twice his size."

    But posted about Fatal Cody by Natalie Walters: https://daniellegrandinetti.com/2022/05/06/fatal-code/

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Lots of great books you have here! Hope you have a great week!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Book of Lost Names sounds good. I haven't done a book tour for a while for similar reasons. Have a good week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you continue to enjoy your book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I join a book tour every now and again when a specific book grabs my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm intrigued with The Book of Lost Names. I keep forgetting to look for it. I need to add it to my list.

    I have done book tours in the past, but I'm not terribly interested in doing that now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m guessing Lost in Darkness is a gothic romance given the moody cover :)

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice looking bunch of books! I'm really curious about The Book of Lost Names and will have to add it to my wishlist. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.