Saturday, March 5, 2011

Movie Review: "The Last Song"

The Last Song

Description from Netflix:

2010   PG    107 minutes


Miley Cyrus has top billing as 17-year-old Ronnie Miller, a rebellious former piano prodigy who doesn't hide her hostility after being sent off to spend the summer in Georgia with her estranged father (Greg Kinnear). Rebuffing her dad's attempts to reconnect, the aloof Ronnie begins to thaw when she meets beach volleyballer Will Blakelee (Liam Hemsworth). Kelly Preston also stars in this contemporary tearjerker based on the Nicholas Sparks novel.

Cast:  Miley Cyrus, Liam Hemsworth, Greg Kinnear, Bobby Coleman, Hallock Beals, Kelly Preston, Nick Lashaway, Carly Chaikin, Kate Vernon, Nick Searcy, Adam Barnett, Michael Jamorski, Melissa Ordway, Carrie Malabre, Lance E. Nichols

Director:  Julie Anne Robinson

Genres:  Drama, Teen Dramas, Teen Romance, Tearjerkers, Dramas Based on Contemporary Literature

This movie is:  Emotional, Sentimental, Romantic

My Thoughts:

This was a "Family Movie Night" movie.  I had been wanting to see it because the preview looked good but our Netflix hadn't been working and Kaylee had basketball on Friday nights.

Well, basketball is over now and we got Netflix through our XBOX working and decided on this movie.  The girls were into it because of "Miley".  I've always had a soft spot for Greg Kinnear.

The movie itself started out not-so-good for me.  I actually could have just stopped watching it at one point because the whole beachy, teen-angst was just getting corny.

I'm so glad that we kept watching because the second half of the movie redeemed the whole movie for me.

In the description above it says "emotional" and "sentimental".  They are absolutely correct.

Just as my mom and I cried at the "Next Great Love Song" (see my TSMSS post), we bawled and bawled toward the end of the movie.

I was glad it didn't end there but went on to show Ronnie starting a new beginning and driving off into the sunset.

I guess what I'm saying is, watch it.  If you get a bit bored in the beginning, prevail.  It will be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.