Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Cook-Booking ~ Easy Oatmeal Cake

Putting the cookbooks on my shelf to good use!

The first cookbook I'm going to be sharing recipes from is very special to me.  When I got married, my Mom made me a little notecard-sized binder of our favorite family recipes.  These are my go-to recipes for everything from cakes and cookies to potpie noodles.

To start off this feature and get myself back into baking, I made one of my family's very favorite cakes, Easy Oatmeal Cake.  It is quick and easy and the toping is hot so no waiting for the cake to cool is required.  In fact, this cake is best right out of the oven and because it has oatmeal, no guilt about eating this first thing in the morning!


Easy Oatmeal Cake

Cake:

1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 egg whites (save yolks)
1 whole egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Heat oven to 350 and grease a 9X13 cake pan.

Pour water over oats in a bowl.  Stir.  Add shortening, eggs, sugars and vanilla.  Mix well.  Add dry ingredients.

Pour into pan and bake for approx 25 minutes.

Topping:

1 stick butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup milk
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Oatmeal

Melt butter in a suacepan.  Add remaining sugar, eggs and milk.  Mix well.  Add amount of oatmeal desired.  (I like my topping thick with oatmeal.  My aunt uses a good bit less.  I actually double the topping recipe because it is so yummy!)  Spread over baked cake.

Eat while hot, warm, or cold.  It doesn't matter.  It is delicious no matter what!


Family Notes:

This is a great cake for someone who isn't really a "sweets person" like my cousin, Steph.  This is her favorite and is her birthday request every year.

~~~~~~~~~

So, let me know if you give this "Family Favorite" a try and what you think!

Enjoy!



Linking to:  Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
                    Tuesdays at the Table

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.