Monday, October 29, 2012

Book Review: In the Shadow of Evil by Robin Caroll 5/5!


In the Shadow of Evil

*I received this book from paperbackswap.com*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Title:  "In the Shadow of Evil"
Series:  N/A
Author:  Robin Caroll
Publisher:  B&H Books
Publication Date:  3/1/2011
Pages:  320
Buy From Amazon:  HERE

Book Description:

Informed by the real-life fallout of the U.S. economy and devastation caused by multiple hurricanes along the southern coast, In the Shadow of Evil tells a modern day story involving the exposure of a building rebound scam. Amidst the layers of unethical practices, supply shortages, and excess murders, a top Louisiana homicide detective loses his heart to a charitable contractor while uncovering a secret about his tragic past.

My Overall Feeling of the Book:

I was a bit intimidated when I started reading this book.  I am not at all into scary movies, books, etc. and that is what the cover of this book reminds me of.

However, the evil alluded to is the evil of the heart of men.  Those who will step on anyone it takes to make it another rung up the ladder.  Those who will take advantage and use anyone and everything around them for their benefit.

After is realized that I didn't need to be afraid of getting spooked from reading this book, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Definitely a great read!


Main Characters:

Layla Taylor:  Layla is a contradiction of stereotyping.  She was taught the construction business from her father and is a female contractor in a man's world.  She also ballroom dances competitively.  She is a big sister who takes the job seriously.

Maddox Bishop:  Maddox is a homicide detective who meets Layla as part of an investigation.  His investigation leads him further and further into Layla's world until that is right where he wants to be.  He has an estranged relationship with his father who and feels that he is never good enough to please him.

One of My  Favorite Scenes:

I just about cried when Maddox and his father finally talk about their issues.  They both blame themselves for a past tragedy and they finally are able to get past their differences and except each other.

A Brief Excerpt:

Maddox filled the doorway.  Not just physically, but the mere presence of him in the room pressed against her.

She swallowed and backed against the reception desk.  Heat fanned the nape of her neck most uncomfortably.  Made not sense at all.  She was a grown woman, a business owner in a male-dominated field--she could ignore the stupid stirrings in her gut.
Page 46


The Cover:

As I mentioned above, the cover is very eerie and spooky.  Maybe it is the way "Evil" is illustrated.  I've had the book on my shelf a while but was too scared to read it!  lol


Other Notes:

-The prologue is stunning.  Really.  It hooked me right in.

-Layla says "Splinters!" alot.  I found it somewhat amusing and somewhat irritating.  Maybe it will be my new go-to word :)  Yeah, probably not.


Rating

5/5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On to the next book,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.