In the United States, National Croissant Day is observed each year on January 30th. Croissants are a buttery, crescent-shaped rolls that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
The key to a perfect croissant is laminating the dough. Laminating the dough is a process by which butter is folded into the mixture creating multiple thin layers of butter and dough. The result is a mouth-watering flaky crust and airy body.
Legend surrounds this pastry, as is often the case with a popular, worldly treat. What is known, is that crescent-shaped breads have been found around the world for ages. One of these was the Kipferl which originated in Austria as far back as the 13th century. This nonlaminated bread is more like a roll.
Credit for the croissant we know today is given to an Austrian military officer, August Zang. In 1939 he opened a Viennese bakery in Paris introducing France to Viennese baking techniques.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Stop by the bakery for a fresh, warm croissant or try making your own using this recipe: Croissants recipe.
1. Well, I do love croissants when they are fresh, but day-old croissants need to be turned into a donut. I happen to really like the croissants that have a donut-like glaze on them! Sugar overload but so good. So... do you like croissants? What is your favorite way to eat them?
Cronuts are DELISH and would be my favorite way to eat a croissant!
2. Speaking of food... How do you handle stress?
Unfortunately, I handle stress with junk food but I'm trying to change that :)
3. Out of the negative emotions of greed, anger, jealousy, and hate, which one would you say affects you the most?
I hate to admit to any of those but jealousy would probably be the one that affects me the most.
4. Out of the positive emotions of compassion, positivity, enthusiasm, and initiative, which one is your biggest strength?
I humbly say compassion and hope that it is true.
5. What do you get every time you go grocery shopping, other than the staples such as bread, milk, butter, flour, sugar...
That would be the above-mentioned junk food that is supposed to be for the hubby's lunch but so often gets emotionally eaten!
6. Please tell us something random about your week so far.
It is supposed to get extremely cold over the next few days! Stay warm!