Saturday, December 1, 2012

I Remember Christmas ~ The Christmas Tree ~ 12/1/12


December 1 ~ The Christmas Tree

Did you have a real tree or was it artificial?  How big was the tree?  Who decorated the tree?  What types of Christmas trees did your ancestors have?


We have always had a real Christmas tree.  For as far back as I can remember, we would go as a family to a Christmas tree farm or on a few occasions we went to a Christmas tree lot.  We would then look for the perfect tree.  We used my Dad's height as a measure for the tree.  It had to be at least as tall as him but not over 6 inches taller or we wouldn't have room for the tree topper.

Now that I have my own family, my Mom and I sit down with our calendars and plan a "Christmas Tree Day".  We all go together to pick out "2" trees.  We now use my Dad and my husband to pick the perfect height for the tree.  I love having my kids running around the farm.  They are always so excited and looking for the "one".

For the longest time when I was growing up, we would decorate the tree until Christmas Eve.  It had been a tradition for my Mom as she was growing up and we continued it for years.  Then my Mom decided to start decorating it about 2 weeks before Christmas because Christmas Eve was so busy.  At first I did NOT like that we were changing tradition.  Now, we usually decorate our tree either the same day we bring it home or the next day.  Doug, the girls and I decorate our tree.  Mom and Dad decorate their tree.  Sometimes the girls will go up and help.
The only details I know about my ancestors Christmas trees would be my Grandparents on my Mom's side.  They had real trees as my Mom and her siblings were growing up but then switched to an artificial tree.  It was always the job of the grandchildren to decorate the tree.  My brother has now inherited their tree and my kids go up and decorate it for him.  Holding on to a bit of tradition there :)

I'll have to ask my Dad about his family as he was growing up.  I'm sure they had a real tree but I've never really asked him about it before.  I'll have to come back to that one.

What are some of your memories or traditions with Christmas trees?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.