Sunday, September 5, 2010

Book Review: "The Apothecary's Daughter" by Julie Klassen


Book Description:


As Lilly toils in her father's apothecary shop, preparing herbs and remedies by rote, she is haunted by memories of her mother's disappearance. Villagers whisper the tale, but her father refuses to discuss it. All the while, she dreams of the world beyond--of travel and adventure and romance.

When a relative offers to host her in London, Lilly discovers the pleasures and pitfalls of fashionable society and suitors, as well as clues about her mother. But will Lilly find what she is searching for--the truth of the past
and a love for the future?

My Thoughts:

I hadn't read a regency type romance quite a while, so this was a pleasure. The balls, the visiting, teas. Such a strict manner of courting.

I enjoyed that this book wasn't only about the things I listed above. It wasn't only about the elite of the time. It also showed the everyday, hardworking people and lifestyle.

Lilly actually get caught up in trying to decide which lifestyle she wants. There were a surprising number of suitors. Quite a few acutally. The book kept me hopping trying to guess which way it would turn out.

I will say that I loved the man Lilly ends up with in the end! I would have liked a bit more interaction though. So many suitors throughout the book didn't lend well to really getting to know the final hero's character and really showcase the romance between the man and woman.

A great read. I also have Julie Klassen's "The Silent Governess" on my bookshelf and am looking forward to reading it. Every books I've ever read of Julie's has definitely been worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.