Monday, January 4, 2016

Make it Monday ~ Stars Aligned ~ 1/4/16

 
 
I  belong to a Ravelry group called "BAMCAL 2016" (Block A Month Crochet A Long).  We will be having 3 squares to crochet along to each month.
 
1.  Main 12" Square
2.  6" Square
3.  Filler 12" Square (voted on by the members)
 
The blocks for January have been posted to the group and the first block is called "Stars Aligned" by Polly Plum.  You can find the free pattern HERE.
 
Without further ado, below is my very first block and completed item of 2016.  The colors are Crafter's Secret from Hobby Lobby in Red, Magnolia and Splash.  These are the colors of my craft room.
 

My square ended up measuring around 12.25" even though I crochet tightly.  I had some difficulty figuring out the first row of star stitches but once I figured the stitches out it went smoothly.  The pattern had wonderful pictures to help in the tricky places.


I learned a lot with this block.  I learned the standing sc, stand hdc and standing dc.  And of course, I learned the star stitch which you can see pretty well in the picture below in the red.


This block can be continued to make any size afghan you desire.  While, I enjoyed making my way through the 12" block, I don't think I would make a large project.  It was a fun sampler block though!


Please leave me a comment with a link so I can return the visit!!



5 comments:

  1. The star stitch is on my To Learn List. I haven't made anything from it, but think it would make a great afghan or shawl. Love your colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to learn new crochet stitches. I really have to get back to crocheting. I have been away from it for a while. Your block is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun project. I love your first square. I can only crochet in the round but hope to learn how to make an afghan one day and toys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a happy and bright project for winter! Thank you for sharing your creative posts on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! We really appreciate you linking up with us :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.