Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Book Review: "Waterfall" by Lisa T. Bergren

Waterfall (River of Time, Bk 1)



Title:  "Waterfall"
Series:  The River of Time Series Book 1
Author:  Lisa T. Bergren
Publisher:  David C. Cook
Publication Date:  1/15/2011
Pages:  352

Book Description (PBS):

Maybe most American teens would love a Mediterranean vacation, but the Bentarrini sisters are stuck in Italy every summer with their archaeologist parents! Young Gabi is bored out of her mind . . . until she's swept into the 16th century and a whole new world filled with knights, horses, armor, swords, and great-looking Italian guys!


My Overall Feeling of the Book:

This book is the first in the River of Time Series and I've been impatiently waiting to get my hands on it.  I finally made it to first in line to get it from paperbackswap.com .  And quickly snagged it up.

I read this book as part of the Wicked Wildfire Read-a-Thon that ended Sunday night.  It was 10pm on Sunday and I had the entire book to read in order to meet my RAT goal.  I didn't have to get up early on Monday so I got my pj's on and snuggled in bed for a long night of reading.  I might have technically finished it in the wee hours of Monday morning but I'm counting it!   To me it was still Sunday night :)

I had no problem whatsoever staying awake to read this book.  It kept me captivated from beginning to end.  I absolutely loved it!


My Favorite Character:

This is a hard book to decide my favorite character because there were so many that I really liked.  I guess I'll have to go with Gabi, the heroine.  She had such spirit and determination.  She makes tough choices because she puts others ahead of herself.  Very uncommon for a typical 17 year old.  She seemed mature beyond her age.

My Favorite Scene:

Just one of my many favorite scenes, is when Gabi is transported back in time and climbs out of the tomb into the middle of a fierce battle.  At first she thinks it is a reinactment of sorts until she see the very graphic death taking place before her eyes.  Talk about a shock!

My Favorite Sentence(s)/ Paragraph:
Staring at the water below made me realize how badly I had to go to the bathroom.  I'd avoided it as much as I could at Castello Forelli, but there, as here, I could do nothing other than what the reset did--go to the pot.  I rose and winced--half from the pain in my thigh and half from worrying that I'd never find Lia.  Then, raising my skirts, I squatted over the bucket and did my business, dragging a piece of wood across the top when I was done to contain the smell.  "My kingdom for a flush toilet," I muttered.  For all our whining, Lia and I really had to idea how good we had it, even in an apartment decorated in seventies favorites.

Gabriela Betarrini, page 178

 
It Woud Have Been Better If:

I had Book 2 in my hands right NOW! 

Also, nothing major but, I have no idea where the title "Waterfall" came from.  I don't remember there being a waterfall anywhere in the book at all.  Just curious.


I Would Recommend This Book To:

YA, time-travel, and history lovers.  Those who have a sister or a single parent.  Anyone who has been drug as around as a kid by their parents on trips.  (I spent many a Saturday at the historical society while my Mom worked on geneology.)  Those who speak English, Italian and Latin.  And anyone who wants to be captivated by a book you can't put down.

Rating

5/5

On to the next book,

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a fantastic read and I had so much fun during the WW-read-a-thon! Awesome review and the book counts ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.