Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Book Review ~ The Austen Escape by Katherine Reay

 
~~~~~~~~~~~~


 
 Blurb:
 
After years of following her best friend’s lead, Mary Davies finds a whimsical trip back to Austen’s Regency England paves the way towards a new future.

Mary Davies lives and works in Austin, Texas, as an industrial engineer. She has an orderly and productive life, a job and colleagues that she enjoys—particularly a certain adorable, intelligent, and hilarious consultant. But something is missing for Mary. When her estranged and emotionally fragile childhood friend Isabel Dwyer offers Mary a two-week stay in a gorgeous manor house in Bath, Mary reluctantly agrees to come along, in hopes that the holiday will shake up her quiet life in just the right ways. But Mary gets more than she bargained for when Isabel loses her memory and fully believes that she lives in Regency England. Mary becomes dependent on a household of strangers to take care of Isabel until she wakes up.

With Mary in charge and surrounded by new friends, Isabel rests and enjoys the leisure of a Regency lady. But life gets even more complicated when Mary makes the discovery that her life and Isabel’s have intersected in more ways that she knew, and she finds herself caught between who Isabel was, who she seems to be, and the man who stands between them. Outings are undertaken, misunderstandings play out, and dancing ensues as this triangle works out their lives and hearts among a company of clever, well-informed people who have a great deal of conversation.
      


My Thoughts:
 
 
 Katherine Reay is a new-to-me author.  I've seen her books floating around and even though I love Jane Austen and everything Austen-esque, I was reluctant to pick up one of the books to read.  I really don't know why.  I guess I didn't want to be disappointed.
 
I was crazy!
 
Not only was I not disappointed, I loved this book!
 
I loved the backstory between Mary and Isabel.  I loved Mary's scientific mind meeting the fictional world that Jane Austen penned.  I loved the "experience" of an Austen vacation.  I loved it all!  Especially the push and pull of the romance involved.
 
Mary's character was so quirky and fun!  At times she was full of courage and others she was confused and didn't know what in the world she was doing.  Like I said:  so much fun!
 
Isabel's character was one I loved to hate and I really didn't understand how forgiving Mary was of her actions.  Especially when it came to "TCG".  (You'll have to read it to find out! :)
 
I can honestly say that I didn't want this story to end.  I'll definitely be picking up more of Reay's novels in the future :)
 
 

Colletta
 
P.S.  I hope you can stop by my ETSY SHOP!

2 comments:

  1. I am in search of some good entertainment books to read so appreciate your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reay is one of my very favorite authors! You will love her others as well! Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday at Mommynificent.com!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.