Thursday, August 23, 2012

Throwback and the Review Pile ~ 8/23/12

The read and the unread.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


We hope to be able to bring attention to some older titles (released 5 or more years ago) that may not be at the top of the current bestseller list, but still deserve a spot in your To-Be-Read pile.


The Secret Garden
"The Secret Garden"
Author:  Frances Hodgson Burnett
Publication Date: 7/1/1990

What secrets lie behind the doors at Misselthwaite manor? Recently arrived at her uncle's estate, orphaned mary Lennox is spoiled, sickly, and certain she won't enjoy living there. Then she discovers the arched doorway into an overgrown garden, shut up since the death of her aunt ten years earlier. Mary soon begins transforming it into a thing of beauty--unaware that she is changing too.

But Missalthwaite hides another secret, as Mary discovers one night. High in a dark room, away from the rest of the house, lies her young cousin Colin, who believes he is an incurable invalid, destined to die young. His tantrums are so frightful, no one can reason with him. If only, Mary hopes, she can get Colin to love the secret garden as much as she does, its magic wil work wonders on him.

I loved this book!  And the movie.  They are both worth taking the time to read and watch :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


From the Review Pile is hosted by Stepping Out of the Page every Thursday.
The aim is to showcase books that you've received but haven't yet got around to reading.

Taming the Wind (Land of the Lone Star)

"Taming the Wind"
Series:  Land of the Lone Star
Author:  Tracie Peterson
Publication Date:  9/1/2012

 When Cassie Lowe goes to live with her sister in the years following the Civil War, she is reacquainted with a man who once saved her life, Tyler Atherton. But Cassie is no longer the lighthearted young woman he once knew. She is now a widow with a young daughter, and she is nursing the disappointments and hurts from a difficult marriage. Though she longs to open her heart again, she is bound by fear and mistrust.
Tyler has demons of his own. Still haunted by the knowledge that his father was murdered by Comanches, he puts all his focus on reclaiming his inheritance: the ranch stolen from his family as punishment for his fighting for the Confederacy. With his affection for Cassie growing, he longs to provide a home and future for her and her daughter.

Though yearning to pledge their love, both Cassie and Tyler struggle to conquer their fears. Will Indian attacks, post-war renegades, and the hardship of life on the Texas plains destroy their future? Or will they find the strength to surrender their wills to God...and embrace his perfect plan?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I look forward to getting lots of great book ideas for my TBR from everyone's Throwbacks and Review Pile.

Happy Reading!


3 comments:

  1. I love the Secret Garden I've probably read it ten times over the years. I haven't for a long time so maybe I this will give me a push to read it again. Great share!
    Have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never read the Secret Garden but I saw the play and loved it. Looks like an interesting read for your review pile. Hope you get to it soon. Here's my From the Pile and my Musing

    If you have a moment please check out my Ebook Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the Secret Garden! What a sweet story. I loved that one when I was younger.

    I'm late commenting this week, but better late than never! Here's my Throwback!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.