Monday, September 20, 2010

Dr. Pepper Cupcakes

These cupcakes were so moist!  They were so chocolately and fudgy and just oh so delicious!

I originally found this recipe over at http://www.christyrobbins.blogspot.com/ .

They are a must try!

Dr. Pepper Cupcakes

1 1/2 cups Dr. Pepper Soda
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 stick butter
4 Tablespoon cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk

In a pan, combine Dr. Pepper, oil, butter, and cocoa.  Stir over medium heat.  When it starts to simmer, turn of stove.  Make sure it is well mixed.

Add all the dry ingredients, but don't over mix.

In a separate bowl, beat the buttermilk and eggs, then add it to the rest of the mix.  Blend together.

Place batter in cupcake liners.  (Fill the liners almost completely full.  These don't rise much).

Bake at 350 for 16-18 minutes.  Don't over-bake.

Buttercream Icing Recipe

1 lb. powdered sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons milk
1/2 Tablespoon water
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 stick butter

Combine sugar, milk, water and vanilla.

In a pan, melt and stir together the chocolate chips, cocoa and butter.

Add melted chocolate mixture to the sugar mixture.  Beat together until smooth and fluffy.  You may need to add a little more milk if your mixture looks to crumbly.  ( I had to add quite a bit more milk.  Just add a little at a time until you get the consistency you desire.)

I topped each cupcake with a well-drained Maraschino cherry.  It added that sweet pop of cherry flavor.  And it looked so cute!

Let me know if you try this recipe and what you think!

Linking up to:



8 comments:

  1. These look delicious!!! My boys LOVE Dr. Pepper! Wonder if I could snitch some from them! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colletta! These do look delicious. I remember when I was younger, we used to eat at Cracker Barrel a lot. They had this AWESOME Coca-Cola cake that was SO moist and yummy. I can still taste it!

    I saw in a cookbook that you can take any cake mix and add a 12 oz. can of diet soda (any variety, so Diet Dr. Pepper would work) and bake as usual...no other ingredients, just the cake mix and the soda. Apparently, it makes a moist, delicious, low-cal, low-fat version of whatever cake it is. Top it with low-fat or fat-free whipped cream (instead of icing) and a cherry.

    I haven't tried it, yet...but now that I remembered it, I'll have to give it a go!

    Blessings!
    Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my son would love it! He really doesn't like cake but he loves Dr. Pepper so maybe he'd convert, lol!

    Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this just sounds WUUUUUNDERFUL! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am on such a cupcake kick. I love how they look and even better, how they taste. I think I may just try these this weekend. My boys will thank you. :)

    Missed you last night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have never thought to add Dr. Pepper, but I have heard of cola cake, so why not? I'll bet it does add great flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw your link on Blessed with Grace! I'm so glad they worked out for you, and I love the cherry on top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy and I love the cherry on top!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.