Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Book Review: "Shadows of Lancaster County" by Mindy Starns Clark


Book Description:
Following up on her extremely popular Gothic thriller, Whispers of the Bayou, Mindy Starns Clark offers another suspenseful stand-alone mystery full of Amish simplicity, dark shadows, and the light of God's amazing grace.

Anna thought she left the tragedies of the past behind when she moved from Pennsylvania to California, but when her brother vanishes from the genetics lab where he works, Anna has no choice but to head back home. Using skills well-honed in Silicon Valley, she follows the high-ech trail her brother left behind, a trail that leads from the simple world of Amish farming to the cutting edge of DNA research and gene mapping.

Anna knows she must depend on her instincts, her faith in God, and the help of the Amish community to find her brother. She also must finally face her own shadows, and pray that she's stronger than the grief that threatens to overwhelm them all.

My Thoughts:

This book had a little bit of everything in it. Mystery, intrigue, drama, danger, romance, history, redemption, forgiveness, and more.

The first two-thirds of the book I read over a couple days. The last third, I stayed up late to finish because I knew I was so close to finding out the answers to the mystery. It kept me guessing the whole time. It definitely wasn't one that I had figured out.

This isn't an Amish fiction, per se. It has Amish interaction and a good bit about their heritage but it is more of a sideline.

This was a great read. It was the first fiction book I've read from Mindy Starns Clark, but I have "Whispers of the Bayou" on my TBR pile and am looking forward to reading it even more now!

1 comment:

  1. I read this one last year, and I devoured it in a couple of days just like you did! If I'm not mistaken, I think she's got a similar book coming out very soon, but the title escapes me.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.