Monday, September 13, 2010

Coconut Cupcakes

I originally found this recipe over at http://www.acuppycakelife.blogspot.com/ .  I tweaked it a little to accommodate my tastes and what I had on hand.

This cupcake has a delicate coconut flavor and is like eating a little bit of summer.


Coconut Cupcakes

2/3 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
3 tsp. coconut flavoring
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups coconut milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin tins and set aside.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time and beat until well blended.  Mix in coconut flavoring.  Add the dry ingredient mixture in thirds alternating with two additions of coconut milk.  Beat until all ingredients are well blended.

Scoop 1/4 cup of batter into each cupcake liner.  Bake 13-18 minutes (more toward the 18) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let cool in pan for 4 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.


Coconut Buttercream Icing
(enough for 24 regular cupcakes)

1 1/2 cups vegetable shortening
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tablespoon coconut flavoring
6 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup coconut milk

In a large bowl cream shortening, salt, coconut flavoring and 2 cups of powdered sugar.  Add remaining sugar alternating with coconut milk until desired texture is reached.  You may not need all of the coconut milk.  Beat on high for 10 minutes until creamy and fluffy.



I will be linking up to:





12 comments:

  1. Sounds great I made some key lime cupcakes last week and they were delicious.

    Peace, Love and Chocolate
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look and sound so yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cupcakes look like something my hubby would really like. He loves coconut. Me not so much. :) Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Hope you have a blessed week.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great and you did a beautiful job! To make it healthier, you can use extra virgin coconut oil instead of the butter/shortening and coconut flavoring. That's how I make mine and it's a hit with the fam. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What?! You had to post this during our get fit 12 weeks?! I am dying!!! I love coconut!! I will make these after mile #100 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love this recipe and have to make these soon! I'm a HUGE coconut lover and this recipe is the best coconut cupcake recipe I've ever seen. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love anything coconut! They sound yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im not a fan of coconut itself, but the flavor would be so yummy in a cupcake! And the icing looks so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to admit that I don't like coconut, but I must say that this cupcake looks amazingly yummy!

    Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy!! Can you bring some over to my house? :)
    You should come link this up at my Making It With Allie Party!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are no two better words together than coconut and buttercream! These look so awesome!

    I'm having a recipe link up this weekend and would LOVE if you would add these little bites of heaven!

    www.mommagoround.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.