Tuesday, December 4, 2012

I Remember Christmas ~ Christmas Cards ~ 12/4/12


December 4 ~ Christmas Cards

 
Did your family send cards?  Did your family display the ones they received?  Do you still send Christmas cards?  Do you have any cards from your ancestors?

My Mom has always sent Christmas cards to the entire extended family even to 2nd and 3rd cousins across the country that she has never met.  It is very important to her to show that they are in her thoughts at Christmas time.

I, however, have streamlined my list over the years.  I now only send cards to "immediate"-extended family, if that makes any sense at all.  We also give Christmas cards to all of our Church families.

This past Saturday, the girls and I sat down with our Christmas cards and lists and they helped me pick the cards and then decorated the envelopes with drawing and artwork.  We had such a nice time working on them together.  They were so excited to be a part of the tradition.  Sunday, they had such fun handing them out to our Church family and saying "Merry Christmas" with each card they gave.

We have always displayed the Christmas cards that we receive for the year.  We usually will tape them around doorways and windows or arches throughout the house.  I always end up picking up the ones that fall and stick them back up.

We've also used Christmas cards from past years to make ornaments, decorations and even name tags for Christmas gifts.  I enjoy looking through the cards from previous years.

My Mom has a tradition of getting the cards she received out sometime during January to sit down and take the time to appreciate them all again and reflect on each person who took the time to give her a card.  It helps her with her Post-Christmas blues.

I really like this idea and think I'll do it this year also.  I might even get them out a few times through the year and enjoy them.
What are your Christmas Card traditions?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.