Sunday, January 23, 2011

Weekly Bible Study Update ~ 1/23/11


1/16/11-1/22/11

1st Place for Health.  
"God's Best for Your Life". 
Week 1 ~ "God's Best for Your Physical Life".

God's Best for Your Life  -     
        By: First Place 4 Health
Memory Verse:  Then Jesus declared, " I am the bread of life.  He who comes to Me will never go hungry, and He who believes in Me will never be thirsty.  John 6:35.

Day 1:  Your Boday ~ God's Gift
Day 2:  Heavenly Bread
Day 3:  Health Watch
Day 4:  Being Fit for Life
Day 5:  Home, Sweet Home
Day 6:  Reflection and Application
Day 7:  Reflection and Application

I managed to stay up-to-date on this study all week!!  Aren't you proud?!  I'm writing this post on Saturday night and our group will be meeting first thing tomorrow morning.  I'm looking forward to a great discussion.

This week focused on our body being a gift from God that we should treat with the utmost respect and care.  (very convicting.)  Sleep, exercise and healthy eating were emphasized.

The ending prayer for Day 6 really  touched my heart.  I have written it in the front of my journal and also on my "Empowered" sheet hanging on my wall.

"Dear God, my Creator, motivate me, guide me, sustain me, rebuild me.  In Jesus Name, Amen."
*********
"Walking With Women Through the Word" with Wendy Pope
One Year Chronological Bible in the New Living Translation.
January 16- January 22, 2011

NLT One Year Chronological Bible, Large Print Softcover  -

I stayed current on my reading this week except for one night, but does it really count if I'm reading a day ahead anyway.  I guess it should because it meant I read 2 days worth of reading in 1 day.  Not bad though.

This week's reading was mainly about Joseph's rise to power and his brother's coming to Egypt because of the great famine.  Finally, Jacob and all his family come to Egypt to be with Joseph and lived in the land of Goshen.  Jacob (Isreal) and Joseph both pass away during this week's reading.

Because this is a Chrono Bible, we skip to Job which is traditionally thought to have taken place around the time of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.  Jacob is tested with his possession and then with his health.  Through the end of the week's reading, Job is going back and forth with his "friends" about his situation and the cause of it.  The last days reading is about Job wanting to argue his case with God and asking how he had sinned.  In my notes I wrote about how very bold this was of Job.

I've really, really enjoyed watching Wendy Pope's daily vlog.  It is quickly becoming one of my activities of the day.  Sometimes, I grab my crocheting and sit back and watch.
**********

 "Made to Crave" by Lysa Terkeurst.  
Online Bible Studies with Melissa Taylor.
Chapters 1-3

Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food  -     
        By: Lysa TerKeurst

I was so glad to finally get my book on Tuesday, but that meant some catch-up.  Melissa actually has scheduled one day to read the chapter and the next day to do the questions.  To catch up I've done both in one day.  I'll try Melissa's schedule this week and see how I like doing them on separate days.
Chapter 1:  What's Really Going On Here?
Chapter 2:  Replacing My Cravings
Chapter 3:  Getting a Plan

I'm really enjoying this study.  We've discussed our cravings and how to resist the temptations of food that is not in our eating plan.

I like the verse "Everying is permissable'--but not everything is beneficial" 1 Corinthians 10:23.  I keep reminding myself of this as Lisa suggests.

Replacing the cravings is a hard thing to do.  I went grocery shopping and got lots of healthy snacks because that is were my downfall is most of the time.  That and eating out/fast food.  The other day I took a protein bar along when I knew we'd be on the road over lunch and ate it instead of getting McD's like the rest of the vehicle did.  I managed but smelling those fries made it a little harder.  It's a good thing my protein bar is really yummy.

I've already had my plan figured out and have actually put it into action this week especially after the grocery trip.  Lisa uses the example of planting a beautiful garden.  First you have to plan it and then you have to do the work to get it "bloom".  I'm now in the "doing the work" phase.  Lord, help me!  Really.  That is my prayer.

*****

Well, there you have it.  It isn't too late to start any of these studies.  I'm having a great time with them and am learning alot.  It seemed like everything coordinated this week.  Funny how that happens.

I hope everyone has a good week.  Next Sunday, I'll let you know how I do with my studies this week.


Please see my side bar for the wonderful places I'll be linking to!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lettie! I tried earlier to leave a post but wasn't able. Must have been a blogger issue because everything is working okay now.

    Anyway...we are getting ready to start our new first place book after Friday. I think we all enjoyed the first one.

    The other two studies look interesting. I am especially interested in the Chronological Bible Study. I'm definitely going to check it out.

    I hope your family is healthy and happy. I also hope that your dad is doing well. I haven't heard anything lately.

    Hoping to see you at hymn sing on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am STUPENDUOUSLY impressed that you kept up with the week's readings...I'm finding it VERY difficult and seem to be always trying to catch up on myself...or is that God??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very proud of you. It takes a lot of self discipline to do what you are doing. I'm sure your account of your experiences will help others and give them the incentive to follow your lead.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.