Saturday, January 22, 2011

Movie Review: "Downton Abbey ~ Episode 1"

Downton Abbey


Synopsis as per www.PBS.org

Episode 1:

It's 1912, and life in the Edwardian country house of Downton Abbey is idyllic and bustling for the Crawley family, aided by their cadre of servants. Robert, Earl of Grantham, his American heiress wife Cora, and their three daughters, along with Robert's mother Violet, have lived largely uncomplicated lives. But the sinking of the Titanic hits home in an unexpected and dramatic way — Lord Grantham's heir, James Crawley, and his son Patrick have perished. It's personally agonizing (momentarily) for daughter Mary who was supposed to marry Patrick. On a grander scale, suddenly all the predictable succession plans have gone terribly awry, and unheard of questions now loom large — Who will be the new heir to the earldom? And what will happen to this distinguished estate, now in jeopardy? Mary's grief is short lived as she sets her sights on another suitor, the Duke of Crowborough.


As the drama unfolds among the aristocrats of Downton Abbey, changes are happening amidst the servants as well. John Bates has arrived as a new valet for Robert, but he has a pronounced limp, potentially making him unfit to perform his duties. Also, Bates seems to have some previous link to Robert, and a murky past. And, someone else in the servant's quarters is darkly entangled with the fortunes of the family he serves.

Despite much angling and consternation, the course of action emerges — a new heir presumptive will soon arrive at Downton. As Matthew Crawley, the heir presumptive, and his mother Isobel arrive, the emotions of the onlookers range from anxiety to outright antagonism. But in crisis there may be opportunity, and Matthew is considered as a suitor for Mary. Yet, nothing is quite as it seems in the changing landscape and shifting fortunes of Downton Abbey.


My Thoughts:

I've been seeing blog posts about this mini-series and it looked like something I would enjoy watching.  By myself, of course, because there's no way Doug would sit through a movie such as this.

I missed the first 2 episodes but found that I could watch them online at www.pbs.org .  I hadn't planned on watching right then, but I couldn't help myself.  I will say that I made my menu and grocery list while watching and also got out my crocheting and worked on Kaylee's legwarmers while watching.  But, needless to say the rest of my to-do list for the day didn't get done.

The first episode I did a lot of figuring out.  Figuring out who was who, the family dynamics, the history and current events of the time period.

I enjoyed watching the differences of the "above-stairs" and "below stairs" characters.

The three sisters could not be more different and I find that I like the youngest best, the middle second best and the oldest is just plain snobby and arrogant.  I'm looking forward to seeing their stories unfold.

I DID NOT, however, like the homosexual scene.  It was nothing overly graphic but to me even a kiss is too much.

I watched the 1st and 2nd episodes back to back.  But I'll save my thoughts about Episode 2 for another post.

Have you been watching this mini-series?  What have you thought about it?

1 comment:

  1. I like the series but I agree, the homosexual aspect of it wasn't really necessary. I think that PBS is now succumbing to the pressure of being "politically correct".

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.