Thursday, January 27, 2011

Chocolate Streusel Cake

I based this cake on a recipe I found at http://www.monstermama-montermama.blogspot/

I switched up a few things to make it lower in fat and sugar.  Oh and I left out the coffee granules because I'm not a coffee fan.


Chocolate Streusel Cake

1 box Devils Food cake mix (reserve 3 Tbsp for top)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup water
2 eggs
1/4 c veg oil (I left this out to lower the fat content)

Topping:

3 Tbsp cake mix
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tbsp quick oats
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp brown sugar (I just used about a tsp of reg sugar to lower the sugar content)

Heat oven to 350 and grease 9X13 cake pan.  You can also make these into muffins.

In medium bowl combine cake mix, cinnamon, (& coffee if you'd like).  Mix well.  Add water and eggs (& oil if you'd like).  Mix until well blended.  Pour into prepared pan.

In a small bowl or small food processor, combine 3 Tbsp cake mix, oats, cinnamon and sugar.  Cut in butter with a pastry blender or food processor until it resembles coarse crumbs.

Sprinkle evenly over batter.

Bake at 350 until toothpick comes out clean.  Sorry I didn't time it.  I'm a check and see kind of baker.  I'd say it was about 30-35 minutes.

Results:

I enjoyed playing with this recipe to suit the needs of those who it was made to for.  I'm trying to do the low-fat and my dad has to do low-fat/low-sugar and there are others at Coffee Break who need low-sugar.

For all my improvizing, it really tastes yummy.  Especially the streusel topping!  Yum!  My dad was so excited to try it.  He got to the church first and was impatiently waiting for me to get there with this cake.  He was at our house and had smelled it baking.

It was very rewarding to go through the extra effort to make something that I could share with my dad.  He's been sick but is definitely getting his appetite back.

Let me know if you try and variation of this recipe.  I know it was a bit confusing with all my "options".

Please see my sidebar for the great places I'll be linking to!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds VERY good! I'll suggest Youngest tries it out, she always likes to try new baking recipes!

    If your Dad raced to the Church to get some cake, then I guess he is really improving!! I'm VERY glad to hear it!

    I finally gor this week's post of Queen of the Castle written:

    http://heckety2.blogspot.com/2011/01/queen-of-castle-week-4.html

    Sorry about last week, did read the chapter and it was good advice...This week's is far less controversial, you'll be glad to know!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, I love that you could make this and share it with your daddy! My dad has been gone three years now, but he is with Jesus and I will see him again someday!

    Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.