Monday, January 31, 2011

Pumpkin Brownies

I came across this recipe in a recipe link-up.  The original recipe came from http://www.premeditatedleftovers.com/ .

I tweaked it a bit.  I didn't have cinnamon chips so I used chocolate chips, I added walnuts, used only the egg whites and the only applesauce I had was individual sized "Country Berry" applesauce so that is what I used.


Pumpkin Brownies

1- 15 oz. can pureed pumpkin
1 cup applesauce
2 egg whites
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1- 10 oz bag chocolate chips (or cinnamon chips)
1 cup chopped walnuts

In a large bowl, thoroughly combine pumpkin, applesauce, egg whites and brown sugar.

In a small bowl combine flour, spices, baking soda and salt.

Stir flour mixture into the pumpkin mixtuer.  Mix well.

Stir chocolate (cinnamon) chips and walnuts into batter.

Pour batter into a greased 13X9 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Results

I took these brownies to our fellowship dinner after Church yesterday.  They were wiped out pretty fast.  I, personally, thought they were delicious!  Very moist and so full of flavor.

I liked the chocolate chips but I might try it again with cinnamon chips if I have a chance.  But for me, usually everything is better with chocolate!

Adding the walnuts definitely gave it more texture and added to the flavor.

The "Country Berry" applesauce gave it just a very tiny hint of berry flavor.  Very subtle but very tasty.  I wonder if I would be able to tell the difference if I used plain applesauce?

These Pumpkin Brownies turned out great and I was asked for the recipe by a few different people.  I told them I would have to compile the recipe with all my tweakings.

If you give this recipe a try, let me know what you think.



Please see my sidebar for all the great sites I'll be linking up to!

6 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds great! I copied it so I can make it in the future.
    Right now I am making lots of Meyer Lemon recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look great. I love pumpkin and chocolate together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks SO GOOD! any combination involving pumpkin usually wins my heart. i have an october birthday so, i've been a lost cause to pumpkins since birth.

    thanks for posting! love your blog!
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @
    http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh these look so good! I have made boxed brownies with nothing but canned pumpkin and they were great. This is even better since it's all natural and not processed. Thank you for the recipe! Candace

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pumpkin pie so I bet I'd love this too! Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Colletta,
    I am so happy that you brought these wonderful Pumpkin Brownies for us to enjoy today. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Full Plate Thursday. You have a great week end and please come back!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.