Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Queen of the Castle ~ Week 3


Week 3 ~ Achoo!  I Feel Fine: 
Fostering Our Health
You can find the previous weeks HERE.

Do you take as much care of your health as you do your children's or your husband's?  Admit it.  We don't. 
 
The other week, my huge black lab and I were out playing fetch.  She was overly excited and couldn't stop when she came flying back at me.  She bowled me right over twisting my knee as I went down.  All they way down to the snow-covered ground.  My first thought, "Lord, please don't let anything be broken.  I don't have the time."

"For thou didst form my inward parts; Thou didst weave me in my mother's womb.  I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;  Wonderful are They works, and my soul knows it very well."  Psalm 139: 13-14

LBW wants us all to resolve to take as good care of ourselves as we do of our families.  Schedule those check-ups.  Even the yucky ones.  And make sure you are getting at least 1000-1200 mg of Calcium per day. 

        Osteoporosis Facts:
Most common in women with small frames, osteoporosis is characterized by weak bones that are likely to fracture.  Though the condition often doesn't appear until a woman is post-menopausal, it develops over a number of years, and typically shows no symptoms until it's too late.

Women in their middle years are advised to take steps to prevent it:  engage in weight-bearing exercise (such as walking, running, or aerobics), reduce or eliminate smoking and make sure you're getting enough calcium.

Deborah Shaw Lewis in her book "Motherhood Stress" says:  "Taking care of yourself physically needs to be a high priority if you have any hope for surviving motherhood stress."

Exercise is key.  Make it something that you love to do.  Dancing? Tennis? Roller Skating?  Jumping Rope?  Bring back something you loved to do as a kid and incorporate it into your exercise routing.  Start slow with an activity 3 times a week.  Go at your own pace until you build yourself back up.

Exercise will make you feel better emotionally as well as the added bonus of more strength and stamina to take care of our families.  It is very important to schedule some exercise time into our day, be it morning, afternoon or evening.  What works best for you and your family.

Sleep is also key.  Studies show that most American are chronically sleep deprived and sleeping 60-90 minutes less than we should.  The adult sleep range is between 6-9 hours each night with most falling between the 7.5-8.5 hours/night range.  Everyone is different.  You'll need to find your "sleep number" and then make sure you get that much sleep each night. 

My husband only needs about 6 hours of sleep.  I need almost the full 9 to function.  He now knows, after 10 yrs, DO NOT MESS WITH MY SLEEP!

So, let us treat ourselves like Queens and take good care of ourselves.  Not only for us but it will also benefit our families.


Please check out my side bar to see all the great sites I'm linking up to.

2 comments:

  1. I have always been advised to keep moving because it is good for the body

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your knee is better!

    I walk on my treadmill 5-6 days a week. I used to lift free-weights but slacked off after I injured my back (lifting weights did not cause it though). I need to start up again.

    My mom has severe osteoporosis in her back and it causes her a lot of pain. Plus, it has affected the things she is able to do. She has had to limit her activities for years due to the pain.

    Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.