Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Book Review: The Trouble With Being a Duke by Sophie Barnes

The Trouble With Being a Duke (At the Kingsborough Ball, #1)


Title:  "The Trouble With Being a Duke"
Series:  At the Kingsborough Ball Book #1
Author:  Sophie Barnes
Publisher:  Avon
Publication Date:  8/27/13
Pages:  371

Book Description:


Sometimes happily ever after…

Anthony Hurst, Duke of Kingsborough knows the time has come for him to produce an heir. But first he must find a bride. When he meets the most exquisite woman at his masquerade ball, he thinks his search is over…until the breathtaking beauty runs off. With few clues other than her figure, her scent, and the memory of her kiss, Anthony must find his mystery lady.

…needs a little bit of help.

Isabella Chilcott can scarcely believe it: she is finally at the Kingsborough Ball. As a child, she dreamed of dancing a waltz here and now, thanks to a gorgeous gown she’s found in the attic, Isabella is living her fairytale fantasy. And she’s waltzing with the Duke of Kingsborough himself! But she must escape before he discovers her secrets…for she is not who she pretends to be, and falling in love with Prince Charming is the last thing she can allow herself to do…



My Overall Feeling of the Book:

This book was a little too "fluffy" for my taste.  Love at first sight?  At a masquerade ball?  I think not.  It seemed a bit cheesy and too "Cinderella-y" in the beginning.  It did, however, have some redeeming qualities.

Isabella gives the Duke a run for his money by not throwing everything in the air and running straight into his arms.  Although at times, she did.  She was a bit hot and cold which no doubt was very confusing for the Duke.

I did enjoy the book but I REALLY want to know more about the woman who was shot at the ball!


A Brief Excerpt:

"Why not?" he asked as he cupped her head with his hands, forcing her to look at him.  "I won't tell a soul if you do not wish for me to do so.   Your parents will never discover that you were here, and neither will you intended, but I need to k now who you are...the name of the woman who's captured my interest."

Page 79

The Cover:

The cover is really beautiful.  The dress is gorgeous and I love that it fits the description of the dress in book.  I'm also pleased that it doesn't show too much skin.  I also like that the man is wearing a mask.  Very mysterious.

Other Notes:

~This is a  mainstream romance with adult situations and content.
~I do my best to skip over the above-mentioned scenes.

Rating

3/5  It was OK.

On to the next book,

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you wrote this review...I like to dream when I read and this one sounds like a great one to do that with. I like to think there is true love and ever after happiness in life as well as books. I think when they say love at first sight -it is only infatuation but it could turn into love.

    Paula O

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.