Thursday, July 29, 2010

Solitude


As my mom and dad are heading out the door with my two girls for "Grammy/Pappy Day", I found this post from "Women Living Well" about solitude so appropriate.

Solitude. It is something I rarely get. That is why "Grammy/Pappy Day" was created. One day a week, usually Thursday, the girls go to my parents' house for the afternoon/evening. It is a great thing. Not only for me, but for the bond between grandparents and grandchildren.

Some weeks I go for groceries. Others I just hang out around the house and actually get the place cleaned up without someone following behind me messing everything up again.

Today, when I woke up, I could feel that I needed some solitude. Last week we were all on vacation and I haven't had any time alone this week either. When that happens, I can feel a yearning inside myself to be alone.

My girls won't be little forever. Does that mean I shouldn't enjoy some time away from them? No way! It means that a little time by myself makes our times together that much more enjoyable.

I'm able to live in the now instead of wishing the girls' childhood away. It gives me time to miss them for a little while and look forward to them coming home Thursday evening.

I am a much better mother and wife because of "Grammy/Pappy Day".

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you about this topic. Be glad your parent s care enough to take them for the day.
    We all need a little time for ourselves.
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy your solitude. Living alone, it's something I take for granted, I think. I should really remember to be grateful for that quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are exactly right. It's a win, win situation for everybody.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.