Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Queen of the Castle ~ Week 15


Week 15 ~ Adventures in Gardening
You can find the previous weeks HERE.

It is finally that time of the year.  Grass is getting greener, leaves are budding and trees, daffodils and other spring flowers are blossoming.

If you are anything like my husband, you have been pouring over the seed catalogs that started to arrive in the mail box mid-February.  He tells me his plans, but I know they will change 20 more times before the planting actually starts.  The latest news is that he wants to add a 4th garden plot right out in front of our house by the parking lot.  We'll have to see about that.

Here is a quote from Celestine Sibley's, Small Blessings:

"I have seen some of the great gardens in this country and some that are not so great but far, far better than my fondest dream.  And because I have yearned over seed catalogues, spent the grocery money for cow manure, wrenched my back shoveling, and sometimes emerged with little to show for it except the dirt under my fingernails, my pleasure in all gardens is multiplied a hundredfold."
Well, we haven't spent the grocery money on cow manure (yet) but I think I know what she means.

God gave Adam and Eve:

 "every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it...for food"  Genesis 1:29

****
These are some tips that LBW passess along from some gardening experts:

-Start Small.  You can always add to it next year.

-Soil preparation is key.  Break up the ground to about twelve inches and spread six inches of "organic amendments" such as peat moss or manure, then mix it in.

-Choose sunny gardening sites.

-Plant at intervals to minimize your rise.  (Plant some this week, then wait a week or two to plant the next batch.)

-If you're new to gardening, try planting the same flower in several locations to see where it does best.

-By planting in pots, you can move them around to find where they grow best.

-White plants are most easily seen in the dark, so use them along walkways or in dark corners of your yard to make that area "pop out".

-Plant the plants you loved when you were 6 year old, says her friend who is a landscape designer.

-And from the Master Gardener Himself:  water your garden if you want it to flourish (Is 1:30; 58:11; Jeremiah 31:12.)

"Out of the ground the Lord God caused to grow every tree that is pleasing to the sigh and good for food."  Genesis 2:9

Please see my left side bar to see all the great places I'm linking up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.