Saturday, April 16, 2011

Movie Review: "Faith Like Potatoes"

Faith Like Potatoes

Movie Description from Netflix

2006   PG    111 minutes

Based on a true story, this inspiring drama centers on white farmer Angus Buchan (Frank Rautenbach), who -- weary of the conflict in Zambia -- moves his family to South Africa, where they try to transform a bare plot of land into a working farm. Buchan faces a string of challenges, but as he overcomes each hurdle, he gradually realizes that his hunger for material wealth has been replaced with a growing sense of spirituality.

Cast:  Frank Rautenbach, Jeanne Neilson, Hamilton Dlamini, Sean Cameron Michael, Casper Badenhorst, Matthew Dylan Roberts, Anton Treurnich, Candice D'Arcy, Morné Theunissen, Rochelle Buchan
 
Director:  Regardt van den Bergh 
 
Genres:  Drama, Dramas Based on Real Life
 
This movie is: Emotional, Heartfelt, Sentimental, Feel-good
 
My Thoughts:
 
I watched this movie last night and while it was based on a true story, I really wonder how much was skipped over.  I would have liked to have seen more of the main character's process of having his heart changed and transformed.
 
It went from one aspect to another in one scene and I know that life is a lot more difficult than that. 
 
I felt such compassion for Angus in his anguish and not knowing why he was working so hard and what for.  He had no hope and it was taking a toll.  The movie portrayed that very well, but it jumped from him being on the verge of a breakdown to him being ready to hit the road preaching.
 
It was a good movie and I enjoyed watching it.  I will warn you that there is a majorly heartbreaking scene.
 
This movie makes me want to read the book that it was based from.
 
Faith Like Potatoes: The Story of a Farmer Who Risked Everything for God



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.