Thursday, February 13, 2014

Book Review ~ Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo ~ 5/5!

Jane Austen Ruined My Life


Title:  "Jane Austen Ruined My Life"
Series:  Adventures with Jane Austen Book #1
Author:  Beth Pattillo
Publisher:  Guideposts
Publication Date:  2/9/09
Pages:  270

Book Description:


English professor Emma Grant has always done everything just the way her minister father told her she should -- a respectable marriage, a teaching job at a good college, and plans for the requisite two children. Life was prodigiously good, as her favorite author Jane Austen might say, until the day Emma finds her husband in bed with another woman. Suddenly, all her romantic notions a la Austen are exposed for the foolish dreams they are.
Denied tenure in the wake of the scandal and left penniless by the ensuing divorce, Emma packs up what few worldly possessions she has left and heads to England on a quest to find the missing letters of Jane Austen. Locating the elusive letters, however, isn't as straightforward as Emma hoped. The owner of the letters proves coy about her prize possessions, sending Emma on a series of Austen-related tasks that bring her closer and closer to the truth, but the sudden reappearance of Emma's first love makes everything more complicated.
In the end, Emma learns that doing the right thing has very little to do with other people's expectations and everything to do with her own beliefs. Laced with fictional excerpts from the missing letters, Jane Austen Ruined My Life is the story of a woman betrayed who uncovers the deeper meaning of loyalty.

My Overall Feeling of the Book:

Of course, I love any book that has to do with Jane Austen.

That being said, I was so frustrated by the unanswered questions throughout the book!  I would have been demanding answers.  But then I wouldn't have had the journey that Emma had where she learns so much about herself as well as Jane Austen.

I love the "scavenger-hunt" concept.  How fun!  Loved it!  I can't wait to read "Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart" which is currently on my shelf!  Squeeelll!


A Brief Excerpt:

"I'd been too proud to ask Mrs. Parrot for financial help in completing her tasks.  Now I was regretting that pride.  To have come so far and to fall short...No.  I couldn't let that happen."

Page 41

The Cover:

I adore this cover.  I love the darkness with the pop of red.  I love how the red dress is shiny while the rest of the cover is matte.  Gorgeous!

Other Notes:

~  This is a nice, clean read.

Rating

5/5  I Loved It!

On to the next book,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.