Thursday, October 5, 2017

Book Review ~ Hearts Made Whole by Jody Hedlund ~ 10/5/17

 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
23411532
 
Blurb:
 
After her father’s death, Caroline Taylor has grown confident running the Windmill Point Lighthouse. But in 1865 Michigan, women aren’t supposed to have such roles, so it’s only a matter of time before the lighthouse inspector appoints a new keeper–even though Caroline has nowhere else to go and no other job available to her.

Ryan Chambers is a Civil War veteran still haunted by the horrors of battle. He’s secured the position of lighthouse keeper mostly for the isolation--the chance to hide from his past is appealing. He’s not expecting the current keeper to be a feisty and beautiful woman who’s angry with him for taking her job and for his inability to properly run the light. When his failings endanger others, he and Caroline realize he’s in no shape to run the lighthouse, but he's unwilling to let anyone close enough to help. Caroline feels drawn to this wounded soul, but with both of them relying on that single position, can they look past their loss to a future filled with hope…and possibly love?
 

My Thoughts:
 
I didn't read the first book of this series but this felt like enough of a stand-alone that I didn't feel like I missed anything.
 
I enjoyed learning about how lighthouses were kept.  It made me think time and again about my experience climbing to the top of the Ponce De Leon Lighthouse in Daytona, FL.  (My legs turned to rubber after all those steps!)
 
I admired Caroline's selflessness but toward the end I just wanted to slap her!  I don't want to give it away so I'll just say that I didn't agree with how she wanted to go about taking care of her siblings' futures.
 
From what I gathered, Ryan must have been one of the side-characters in the first book of the series.  I enjoyed getting to see him transform from what the war had made him become.  I don't usually feel sorry for people who have addictions, but this book made me think a little more deeply about their struggles.
 
I had an inkling of who the "villain" was pretty early on and was satisfied that I was indeed correct!  hehe
 
I'm definitely interested in reading more of the Beacons of Hope series by this author.


For the Biblical "Way of Salvation" please see my header or click HERE.
 

Linking up to:  Share Your Cup;  Grandma IdeasLiteracy Musings and Saturday Situation, Booknificent. Party at My Place , Saturday Review of Book , Book Nook, Hearts for Home, The Monday Review, Homemaking Party,  Favorite Things





5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really interesting book. I'll have to give it a read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good book. Thanks for sharing on LMM linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you on LMM :)

    Thank you for your review on this book.
    It sounds like one I would like to read and review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a good one! I love lighthouses! Thanks for sharing this with us at Booknificent Thursday at Mommynificent.com!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lighthouses. I know many collectors. This sounds like such a great book Thanks for sharing on the #LMMLinkup.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.