Saturday, October 19, 2024

My Weekly Bookishness ~ 10/18/2024


All things bookish!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What I Read:


My review of "A Rancher's Return" will post on 10/23/2024!


My review of "Frittered Moments" will post on 10/25/2024!

~~~~~~~~~~

What I'm Reading:


Blurb:

Jane Austen meets Sherlock Holmes in this new Regency mystery series

Newly returned from finishing school, Lady Juliette Thorndike is ready to debut in London society. Due to her years away, she hasn't spent much time with her parents, and sees them only as the flighty, dilettante couple the other nobles love. But when they disappear, she discovers she never really knew them at all. They've been living double lives as government spies--and they're only the latest in a long history of espionage that is the family's legacy.

Now Lady Juliette is determined to continue their work. Mentored by her uncle, she plunges into the dangerous world of spy craft. From the glittering ballrooms of London to the fox hunts, regattas, and soirees of country high society, she must chase down hidden clues, solve the mysterious code her parents left behind, and stay out of danger. All the while, she has to keep her endeavors a secret from her best friend and her suitors--not to mention nosy, irritatingly handsome Bow Street runner Daniel Swann, who suspects her of a daring theft.

Can Lady Juliette outwit her enemies and complete her parents' last mission? Or will it lead her to a terrible end?



First Lines:

"If you lean out any farther, you'll wind up in the drink.  Which, I suppose, would be a fitting end to this disaster of a trip."


56%/Page 56

Ed had the most seniority amongst the Bow Street officers and was held in high esteem.

~~~~~~~~~~~

What I'll (Probably) Read Next:


Blurb:

Brookeside, England, 1822

Jemma Fielding has always considered herself an independent woman, but to honor her beloved grandmother’s dying wish, she makes a promise that she will marry and fall in love. To fulfill her promise, she turns to the Matchmaking Mamas Society for assistance and is paired with the charming Mr. Bentley. Though he is everything Jemma could hope for in a match, she is clueless about how to win his heart. Desperate to make a good impression, she seeks guidance from her dearest friend, Miles Jackson, a humble rector with a talent for understanding matters of the heart.

However, Miles’s secret affection for Jemma has spanned years, and teaching her to love someone else threatens to betray his own heart. Trapped by his own selfless nature, Miles fears he will never be more than a humble rector in her eyes.

Even as he gives Jemma lessons in love, Miles grapples with the challenge of convincing her that Mr. Bentley may be a perfect gentleman but he is not the perfect match for her. Will Miles’s advice in romance jeopardize their years of friendship, or will it reveal the attraction that has quietly blossomed between them, proving that this time, the Matchmaking Mamas may have made a mistake? Miles must decide if he’s brave enough to confess his feelings to Jemma before she is whisked away forever.

~~~~~~~~

Book Haul:





   ~~~~~~~~~~

Book Blogger Hop:

Q.  What novel would you recommend that blends characteristics of your favorite genre with horror concepts, and why? (submitted by Billy @ Coffee Addicted Writer)

A.   Anything by Jamie Jo Wright.  I haven't read it yet, but I've heard amazing things about "Specters in the Glass House" that was recently released.  This author does a brilliant job of mixing Christianity with spookiness!


~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

Bookishly Yours,


Linking up to: 

   


https://www.coffeeaddictedwriter.com/

http://www.fredasvoice.com/  http://www.rosecityreader.com/


12 comments:

  1. Wow, what a nice load of books you have here. Enjoy your next read, Coletta 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, When the Day Comes looks interesting. I hope you enjoy your new books and have a great weekend. - Katie

    Here's my STS if you wish to visit - https://justanothergirlandherbooks.blogspot.com/2024/10/stacking-shelves-october-19-2024.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, Specters in the Glass House does look interesting!

    Hope you enjoy your new books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice selection! I'm going to check out the Specters book and The Debutante's Code. Enjoy your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane Austen meets Sherlock Holmes sounds quite fun.

    What a fantastic book haul you had!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some good books there! I love the cover of Specters in the Glass House but now that I know that it has spookiness in it, I'll avoid. Thanks for the warning! Although, I know you actually said that to encourage the spooky reader folks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover of Frittered Moments made me drool. I love doughnuts!

    Harvee https://bookdilettante.blogspot.com/2024/10/homeseeking-by-karissa-chen-lies-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE Jaime Jo Wright's books and Specters in the Glass House was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many good books! I feel like my job has really been cutting into my reading time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Specters in the Glass House sound intriguing.
    Have a great week.

    https://snapdragonalcoveblog.wordpress.com/2024/10/19/weekly-wrap-up-hitch-to-san-antonio/#comment-6498

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice assortment of books! I added The Debutante's Code to my TBR pile last week. The audiobook was available as part of my Audible subscription. I should be listening to it soon. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jane Austen meet Sherlock Homes! Yes, please!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.