Monday, June 20, 2011

Chocolate Surprise Cookie

Finally, a new-to-me recipe!!! 

We had a Church picnic yesterday and I made these yummy cookies.  I had so many requests for the recipe!  They were a hit.  A big hit! 

Some people even asked me to go home and make some more because they were gone in a flash.  (especially thanks to one of the Elders who grabbed a handful!)

I found this recipe over at http://www.sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com/ .  They called them "Magic in the Middle Cookies" but I just liked saying "Surprise!" when someone took a bite.  lol


(Note:  I doubled the recipe so that it would make approx. 4 dozen cookies.  The recipe below is already doubled)

Chocolate Surprise Cookies

Chocolate Dough:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar (plus a bit extra in a bowl)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
3 eggs

Peanut  Butter Filling:

1 1/2 cup peanut butter, crunchy or smooth (your choice.  I used smooth)
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar

To make the dough:

Preheat the oven to 375 and light grease cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.  (I recommend parchment paper for ALL cookie baking.  Makes it so much easier.) 

In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugars, butter and peanut butter until light and fluffy.  Add the vanilla and eggs.

Add the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.  Blend well.

To make the filling:

In a medium bowl mix together the peanut butter and the powdered sugar until smooth.  Roll the filling into approx 48 one-inch balls.

To shape the cookies:

Roll approx. 1 Tablespoon of the chocolate cookie dough into a ball.  Press your thumb into it to make an indentation. 

Place one of the peanut butter balls in the indentation and then shape the cookie dough around the peanut butter ball.

Make sure all the peanut butter is enclosed in the chocolate and then smooth out the chocolate ball by rolling it in your hands.  Repeat, using all dough.

Put some sugar into a small bowl and roll each chocolate ball in the sugar and then place on the cookie sheet.

Using the flat bottom of a drinking glass, press each cookie until about 1/2 inch think.

Bake the cookies for 9 minutes.  They will still be very soft.

Let cookies rest on cookie sheet for 1 minute and then remove to a wire rack to cool.

Share with friends!!


Make sure you say "Surprise" when each person takes their first bite and discovers the peanut butter in the center!  It is great fun!


These are definitely a keeper.  Be prepared for people to ask for the recipe.  You might just want to print some out and take them along with you.  hehe.



Please see my left sidebar for the great places I'll be linking to!

12 comments:

  1. Well, you just can't beat that pb/chocolate combination! What a fun cookie! I bet they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! I'll try these when Eldest is next home as she loves peanut butter!

    Its always nice for the morale when one comes up with a winner at Church teas, I find!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surprises are always fun and even better when you can eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! It's like a Reese's peanut butter cookie!! Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so delicious!! I am definitely going to have to give these a try! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    Monica @ mrsmonicatillery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I would have been there...they look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yours turned out awesome!!! And now I really want some of those! :) Thanks for the shout out! We have a giveaway going on right now so come on over!

    The Sisters
    www.sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful space you got here! Very creative...this looks so yummy!
    Love it.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So yummy looking! I love the homespun look of your blog, it is my first visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh ... they look wonderful! My husband would love them, for sure. He's a chocolate/peanut butter person. I'll have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Colletta,
    It is nice to see you today. This cookie looks so good with all that wonderful Peanut Butter goodie in the middle. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and sure hope to see you again real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Unfortunately, due to spammers, I now have to moderate comments.